PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
You could horizontally flip just the numbering on the texture, and then apply the new texture to just the part needed, save just that part, unfold it and then import it into your main pepakura file.
Only problem with that is you get a spare part, but you could even hide that by adding a blank white image and bringing it to the front, to cover the spare part. It's what I do, but I break the spare parts up before hiding them so it's a smaller area.
Go it thanks.

Luckily Sketchup is an awesome proggy when it comes to coping and pasting. You can actually select object / faces. Then copy them.

Then you close the document and open the other / new one. When you hit paste it magically appears.

What I did was apply the left arm texture to the faces need. Then I only selected those faces and copied them.

I then re-open the original model and just pasted those corrected faces.

Whalla.

Exported to pepakura and updated the model with no need to fix anything.

I also ended up tweaking the barrel tips with the exposure / brightness / contrast and it looks good now and should be fine once printed.

Just need to go over the PDO again and see if something did not mess up with the reloading of the 3D model, but I think we are good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
So you want to build a SuperNova-capture.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Damn I didn't know pepakura could do that, lol.
I think if you keep to deleting and adding objects pepakura won't mind too much, it might complain if you re-order the vertices within an object though, needs investigating.

Yeah, I played with the textures 'levels' in photoshop, just moving the middle slider made the image 'better for print', same thing as exposure really, the original barrels look better IMO.

Now then, does the chevron need reversing as well?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaar View Post
To be honest I started working on it. Then I lost interest in paper modeling all together and got stuck in World of Warcraft.

Then after 3 months of 24/7 World of Warcraft I got bored finding it to repetitive grinding for Justice points etc etc.

So I got back to paper modeling after the Super Nova was requested over at mech3.org.

I will finish the suit sooner or later.

Sorry for now getting back to you on that.
OK, just wondered... Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
Damn I didn't know pepakura could do that, lol.
I think if you keep to deleting and adding objects pepakura won't mind too much, it might complain if you re-order the vertices within an object though, needs investigating.

Yeah, I played with the textures 'levels' in photoshop, just moving the middle slider made the image 'better for print', same thing as exposure really, the original barrels look better IMO.

Now then, does the chevron need reversing as well?
It really is a hit and miss process with pepa. Sometimes you can change the smallest of things and pepa will not reload the moel, and you will need to redo the unfold.

I have had a lot of luck though. Even adding and removing objects without having to redo the whole unfold.

Who ever implemented that feature into pepa was a god sent.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Been documenting the pepakura format with imcold, from the structure it suggests direct replacements of objects with other objects should be ok, especially if the vertex count is the same, adding textures should be ok as well, it's just adding or removing vertices and triangles where it might throw a wobbly.
If it wasn't for the fact that pepakura bloats file size when you 'import pdo' because it loads the same textures more than once, i'd suggest doing a model in parts and then combine them at the end, don't though it bloats your filesize.
Whoever implented that bloat feature wants shooting.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 370.69 MB
Awsome work once again blaar!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM

After fixing some minor texture flipping on the arms, legs and top of the torso, I think the model will be as good as it can get. To bad the high res texture was never found. Who knows, maybe they will show up but I highly doubt they ever will. I have been bothering Byron and prodding him to please find it but he says he think they are lost due to HDD crash.

Still, this model is using 3 x 512x512 TGA's where the rest of the MechWarrior 4 mechs only used 1x 512x512 texture. (Excluding other mechs made by Mektek such as the Linebacker / Warhammer) which means the details should look better than the others.

So, download now, print, cut, glue, assemble and above all ............. POST PICTURES !!!!

Download the model here :
Mektek_SuperNova_Papermodel.rar

Also read the readme.txt file in the RAR archive. It give a quick how to make your own skins for the mech.

Enjoy

BLaaR

NS : Big thanks to Byron Masterson who was the original artist of the Mektek Super Nova.