PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 440.25 MB
Well for better or worse it's finished...hindsight being the great thing it is, available after the fact unfortunately, I would have built the entire upper hull and then trimmed the formers if necessary to get it to fit properly. Fitting the upper hull and then trying to attach the roof is NOT the way to do this....I attempted to fill the join but it's a marginal job at best, very disappointed with my build. The interior came up well but I failed badly on the outside...maybe I'll build another one.
Stupidly I assumed the piece that I cut out of the roof would fit...another fail so it will just have to live with that piece missing. Had I built the hull first I could have airbrushed it but try to after it was together was just not possible with all the compound curves so I hand painted it and it shows.
All in all a passable effort but I could have done much better. The thermoformed top dome came out OK, lucky I made 3 of them !! Trying to cut them down was an interesting exercise. An old ball mouse ball forced into a 20mm hole worked really well.
Cardmodels being cardmodels it can always be done again for the price of some card and ink.
Despite my attempt it is a beautiful thing to build but I suppose this could be classed as a test build since I went in blind basically, don't let it put you off trying this, it's a credit to Vinicio Munoz.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 2 new design-j2a.jpg   Jupiter 2 new design-j2b.jpg   Jupiter 2 new design-j2c.jpg  
Old 11-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Well, judging from the pictures it's a credible build. Considering the issues you had to deal with I'd say it's well done. Also that you're quite the modeler. Build it again sometime please.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
that's a superb job!!! ***** im very impressed, that should be model of the week!!!!
by the way could I post your pics in other forums? its really too good not to show, and what name do you want on them?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the remarks, I will probably build this again but not right now...always tomorrow with cardmodels. No prob putting the pictures on other sites, more people should try this model. My nickname around here is Bones and it's the one I use at Papermodels11 so just use that one if you like. I really have enjoyed this model and definitely will do it again but as I said, try building the hull complete and fitting it whole.
I can zip the files up and send them to anyone who would like them if that's ok with the moderators here, will need to make sure first though.
Thanks too to Vinicio for a superb model, the best I have ever seen of the venerable Jupiter 2.
Just a reminder that the flight deck consoles need to be scratch built, they're just a box really so it's no biggie. Also the bubbles on the top and on the astrogator, all I did was to get a piece of nylon that I had lying around, a piece of wood will do, and using holesaws drilled a 16mm hole and a 25mm hole. Then I grabbed some old light fitting packaging that was formed with a vacuum former I would guess, and clamped it down on 2 sides over the holes with some short pieces of pine. Then after heating the plastic with an electric paint stripper simply pushed a 14mm glass marble through the 16mm hole and a ball mouse ball through the 25mm hole. Trim to size and you have your domes...easy.
Going now to hve a beer and a snooze, catch you later.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Was wondering about the spray putty. Reading the label it looks like what Duplicolor calls scratch filler primer that most US auto parts stores carry.
Google Adsense
Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 PM

That would be the stuff I would think. It's really soft when applied and sands easily, great for filling small indentations and holes.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
This is absolutely fine stuff! It looks like a movie prop! Congratulations! One of the (if not THE) best build of J2 I have ever seen! Bravo!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks mate, don't let the few build problems that Spaceagent and I have had with this stop you from trying it. This model is absolutely superb and the few tips that we've given toward putting it together should be enough for anyone to make a great display despite there not being any instuctions as such. All builds are test builds and these forums are a brilliant way of finding out the tricks in assemby.
Many thanks to Vinicio once again for his beautiful kit of one of the nicest looking space ships of all time.