PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking A little help please

Hi

My son he is getting into Warhammer 40k table top and the models from here are amazing. We will be modifying the models as we go so they should even slip past the "only games workshop" brigade but I need to effectively plasticise the models to make them more durable. I planned on using pva to seal the cardstock prior to painting to stop it getting soggy I just wondered if others had already found a solution.
Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 AM

Superglue. Turns paper into hard stuff that can be sanded, painted etc.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirco View Post
Exactly.

Tommygun used to take papermodels and use them as templates for building out of plasticard, too
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 161.92 MB
....this had been something I've been curious about as well...got a few models that could use some more durability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirco View Post
Is there a particular method/equipment to applying the superglue? Would I be burning through the stuff pretty quick?

Last edited by andersonmr34; 02-18-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Grammar...
Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I buy that real watery dollar store stuff. Multiple tubes in one package for a buck or so. You can cover quite a bit of paper with one tube. I use the tip of the tube to spread it around on the paper surface. Because it's so watery, it sinks in quickly and doesn't build up. Experiment before applying it to something you care about. Afterwards the paper (or cardboard) can be sanded just like plastic. Use with ventilation, or your eyes'll start stinging.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
My preference is the brush-on Krazy Glue...it comes in a small bottle (with applicator brush) that retails for about $4.50 or so. Yes, one does go through it like slimy stuff through a goose. I buy it in bulk on Amazon...usually I can find some office supply outlet for around $2 per bottle when getting it by the dozen. Store the unopened bottles in the freezer greatly increases shelf life.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Fox:
I will also say use vents, Best to did it in summer outside and sit or stand upwind of the project. Another way is with clear epoxy 2parts mix and spread with a single use brush. let harden on wax paper. in a real hurry grab the wife's clear nail polish and paint with the brush in the bottle. Best by far is the Super Glue thin because it goes through the card stock. Let the rest of us know how your projects tun out.
Good luck,
MILES
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I do not use the super glue in quantity to achieve that hardness. If you follow some of my build threads, you will notice that I laminate greatly and my models have the strength to be handled continuously. If you build Eli Patoroch's models as depicted, They will tend to be flimsly for table top gaming. The lamination process and the making of internal braces will make for a very sturdy model. Check out my Baneblade. Baneblade It is heavily laminated as stated earlier and it is a very nice model to build but time consuming. For further reference and painting technique, I recommend Dakkadakka a 40K gaming site. DakkaDakka - Wargaming and Warhammer 40k Forums, Articles and Gallery - Homepage
Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you for the help I have a large pot of superglue with brush applicator already so I will keep you updated as the builds progress.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
No activity since the end of May. Any updates on this? How did things with the superglue turn out?
Google Adsense