PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmr34 View Post
Sure, I would be glad to make another one! It might be a weekend project though...depends on having "free time"...

One thing that didn't take much time though was that Medium Lifter! Thanks sjsquirrel for sharing that!

...Always an interesting (i.e. not pleasant) experience having those things sneak up on you...

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them. Kinda scary seeing one again. Sure brings back old memories, and I totally agree with you on

I think I'll have to post that little guy on my web site. I have the rest of the Descent 3D models in my collection and always intended to do the Pyro myself. It's somewhere on my list of hundreds of projects for one-of-these-days.

Steve
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am also planning to build one, but I can't start to build until one week later.
I have quickly created a cockpit for installation into the Becker model. Anyone interested can get it here:
pyro-cockpit.pdf (7,32 MB) - uploaded.net

I normally don't like to use photos as textures, but in this case I made an exception, because it fits in with the 3d-graphics style of the model.

sjsquirrel, could you make the medium lifter available in pdf-format?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstahl View Post
I am also planning to build one, but I can't start to build until one week later.
I have quickly created a cockpit for installation into the Becker model. Anyone interested can get it here:
pyro-cockpit.pdf (7,32 MB) - uploaded.net

I normally don't like to use photos as textures, but in this case I made an exception, because it fits in with the 3d-graphics style of the model.

sjsquirrel, could you make the medium lifter available in pdf-format?
Hey Chris, thanks for the cockpit. That will be a nice addition to the model.
The pdf files of the lifter were a little too big to attach here so I've added them to the downloads page on my web site.

@andersonmr34 - I hope you don't mind, but I used your pictures. If you do let me know and I'll remove them.

Steve
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 161.92 MB
...hrmm...maybe remaking the pyro won't happen this weekend after all... I'll get it though, no worries!

Oh, and it's all good concerning using those pictures sjsquirrel. They were meant to be shared anyway!

You know...it would be fun to make some other Descent bots...I wonder what it would take to learn how to do this myself? hmmm....
Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
For someone who knows and owns the right software, it should be fairly easy to produce more Descent-Models. Just extract the polygon models from the game, then unfold them with something like Pepakura. I know people did that with Polygon-models from other games. Yet, learning how to do that may actually not be so easy, if you don't know a bit of programming, I guess.
Thanks for the pdfs, Steve, I already downloaded them.
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:

You know...it would be fun to make some other Descent bots...I wonder what it would take to learn how to do this myself? hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstahl View Post
For someone who knows and owns the right software, it should be fairly easy to produce more Descent-Models. Just extract the polygon models from the game, then unfold them with something like Pepakura...

Fortunately there's no need to extract the models from the game. The 3Dmodels from descent2.com are still available through the Wayback machine and I managed to get a complete set. So, I could send you the models.

Then you need a copy of Pepakura Designer. It's not free, but it's not expensive either. Lot's of other people use Blender and an unfolding plug-in, which are free, but Blender is one of those be-all-things-to-all-people tools that has so many features that you can't do anything without spending many hours just learning how to get started.

Pepakura is much easier to use, and is designed specifically for unfolding 3D models into paper craft patterns, and it does it very well. It has some editing ability for making small adjustments to the 3D models as well, since this is usually required, particularly with models from games like this.

So really, a copy of Pepakura is all you need to get started.

Steve
Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsquirrel View Post
Fortunately there's no need to extract the models from the game. The 3Dmodels from descent2.com are still available through the Wayback machine and I managed to get a complete set. So, I could send you the models.
Steve
...huh...so were they all .dxf files?

I was able to get a good majority of the models from that wayback machine site. After opening some of them though, it looks like they might not actually be in-game models, since many of them have "round" gun barrels and "translucent" eyes and engines (double layered 3D faces around there). May have to look at some programs to revert these back to their "low-poly" glory... (tried AutoCAD first...the .dxf files were too "old" for it to do much...)

Anyway, I've finished up another Pyro! I have a bunch of pictures going through the process...so it might have to spread a bit through posts...
Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 PM

First off... the cockpit canopy and the tail fins!

The main thing that helped out with this model (that you'll see throughout this build) was I added paper tabs (...yeah, pepekura spoiled me pretty good with that...)! Most of the part shapes for this model have a deceptively simple geometry and "seeing" where a tab could go wasn't too bad. The cockpit canopy was a perfect example of that.

The tail fins worked better with the tabs on the inner face (concave face), and with the tabs on the fin sides positioned in such a way so the outside face (convex face) can just close it up. Basically, inner face, sides, then outer face. On the first Pyro, I went the opposite of that (outside, sides, inside), and it was actually harder to deal with than this version

...don't know if that made sense...good thing pictures are worth a thousand words?

(I think I'll get the rest on here tomorrow...or more of it at least!)

(also, I apologize in advance if this model looks a little "rough"...this one is for demonstration, not display...)
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img_1840.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1841.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1842.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1843.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1844.jpg  

Last edited by andersonmr34; 04-03-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
...huh...so were they all .dxf files?
The models were posted in both DXF and COB (Caligari OBject) format. I downloaded the COB format since I use Metasequoia (which handles COB very well) for modelling, then feed the Meta file to Pepakura.

Quote:
I was able to get a good majority of the models from that wayback machine site. After opening some of them though, it looks like they might not actually be in-game models, since many of them have "round" gun barrels and "translucent" eyes and engines (double layered 3D faces around there).
If memory serves you are right about that. I believe the models were made by a fan based on the game models, so they may not be perfect, but frankly they're plenty good enough for me.

The new Pyro is looking good so far. I'm eager to see where you go with this project.
Steve
Old 04-05-2014, 12:04 AM

Let's see...how about the lasers and wings next!

The lasers were made up of three pieces each (it was kind of tedious). I left tabs on, and rolled them into cylinders. They were quite thin, you'll probably need something a good deal thinner than a pencil. I used a mircobrush handle and that seemed to work...

The wings were a simple box shape, so not a big deal...except for one thing... I had to do some "X-acto knife" surgery to cut out grooves for inner pair of lasers. Fortunately, there are grey stripes on the wings that are the right width and in the right position to aid in cutting in the right spot. Cut out those stripes and some half-circles on the sides and it should work out good! (the last picture of the wings is like a "before and after" kind of thing)
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img_1851.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1852.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1853.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1854.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1855.jpg  

Google Adsense