PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 161.92 MB
The main body...was interesting...mostly a box shape again, but with a twist...

This one I did tabs on the top piece and along the bottom edge of the sides. The edges of the top piece, it seemed like they were meant to bend down slightly and come together in those corners (see first picture).
Around where the engines would go, I left tabs, then cut them a whole lot so it would better accommodate the contour of the engines.

The sides just wrap around, probably good to start at the front and work back! As this works around, you'll have to bend and adjust the top piece to match the ups and downs going on the sides.

As for the bottom piece, I left that off until the very end of the build. It was really helpful to have that open when it came to attaching the wings/tail fins/cockpit/engines on the main body....ESPECIALLY, the engines!!! (Didn't do that last time, ended up with a couple stylus shaped "exhaust ports" because I closed up the main body too soon )

...And that just leaves the engines and final assembly to take care of... later

edit: ...oh...just realized I probably could have incorporated that cockpit chrisstahl designed! Oh well...since he said he was going to build this, I'll leave it up to him
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img_1845.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1846.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1847.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1848.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1849.jpg  

Last edited by andersonmr34; 04-05-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 PM

...the engines...I don't know if the way I did it was the "correct" way, but it worked out! These were probably the hardest parts of the model (which wasn't "that" bad really)...

I left tabs on one side (should have left them on the bottom too, like I did on my first Pyro, very handy to glue the "turbine" bit on), rolled the part around the scoring instrument. Then, I cut down one side of each "petal" leaving all the white space as tabs.

To bring it all together, I found it good to bring each of the top points together, and curve it just enough so that you don't see any of the white glue tabs...kind of going for a bullet shape. It'll overlap a little bit over the gray of the part, but I think it was meant to do that.

I had to make some tabs so I could close up the engine, and finished it off with the "ring" end (the easy part of all that).

With all the parts done, all that's left is to put it all together!
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img_1797.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1798.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1799.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1800.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1801.jpg  

Pyro GX from Descent-img_1802.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1803.jpg  

Last edited by andersonmr34; 04-07-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 PM

First, the engines and cockpit onto the main body. Having the bottom open was very helpful in positioning things!

Then the wings! Just align with the top edge and back corner of the main body.

The tail fins went on next, positioned them to be even with the front of the engines.

The laser cannons were simple, the outside pair on the ends of the wings, and the inside pair in those grooves previously cut out!

Last, closed up the bottom of the main body with the last piece. It seemed a little big (?), but the rest of it looked good as is, so I just glued it on and cut off the excess. (probably cheated a little there, but honestly, who would have known otherwise if I didn't say anything...)

So there you go, another Pyro! I hope that this was helpful in some way! Don't be shy if anyone has any suggestions or improvements...any (constructive) criticism is welcome!

(Oh, as for the missiles...I couldn't bring myself to try them again...they're pretty thin and there wasn't much space between sections to fashion tabs out. If anyone figures out a good way to make them, it would be great to share that!...or any of the other accessories for that matter!)
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img_1850.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1856.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1857.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1859.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1860.jpg  

Pyro GX from Descent-img_1861.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1862.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Looks great! Your pictures and description of the build sequence are excellent. This thread will be a great resource for anyone trying to build one. Leaving the bottom off to help with positioning the engines is one of those great tips you can only get from someone that's been there and done that.

Thanks

Steve
Old 04-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thank you. That was a great run-through
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have also build a Pyro by now, adding the cockpit I have created. It took me a while to figure out how to get the fuselage together. Could it be that it just doesn't fit accurately?

Unlike andersonmr34 I haven't left the bottom plate off but rather left away the engines. To attach the wings it was a huge help to have access to the inside of the fuselage.
Here are first some pictures of the cockpit and the fuselage.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Oo, I like having a cockpit. Judging by the size of the seat, approximately what scale is this?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM

...wow! That cockpit looks really good! Almost makes me want to build a third one...though that might be a little excessive

I'm looking forward to seeing how you did the engines (the making of and attaching to main body). I had quite a bit of trouble attaching those to the fuselage for the first pyro and I thought I had it figured out for the second one... It would be good to see another (possibly better) technique!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I doubt my technique for the engines is any better. I simply pushed them around until they were in place. Here are some pictures of the wings, the engines and the missile pylons.

I agree that building a third pyro would be a little much, unless you had made them in different colours like in multiplayer mode.

I'm not sure, what scale the seat would make the model. My best guess is somewhere between 1:40 and 1:50. I looked at the intro video of D3 to get a feeling for the size of the cockpit. Still I think the pyro somehow defies all size classification, because it is so tiny, which seems to make sense, as it was designed to fly through mines.

Considering the size of the Pyro there's something I always wondered: Where do the hostages go once you free them? Does the Pyro have an internal wormhole to teleport them to safety?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstahl View Post
I doubt my technique for the engines is any better. I simply pushed them around until they were in place.
Hmm...I did leave tabs in that engine area, maybe they were less of a help and more of a hindrance.. Oh well, whatever works!

Those engines and tail fins look great! Looks like you have the laser cannons left? Any plans for missiles or other weapons? It was surprising seeing how many extras were included (like every missile type and all the guns introduced in Descent II)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstahl View Post
Considering the size of the Pyro there's something I always wondered: Where do the hostages go once you free them? Does the Pyro have an internal wormhole to teleport them to safety?
...heh heh, they probably go to the same spot where all those missiles and weapons are stored...

It's even more impressive considering all those hostages are giants...if the listed robot sizes in the briefings are to be trusted... (medium lifter is 5 meters big...but it is half as big as a hostage?!)

...eh, nevermind...probably thinking too hard about it...
Google Adsense