PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmr34 View Post
I did leave tabs in that engine area...
In my experience, tabs can be more disturbing than helpful on round parts (especially on small ones), because basically they make a curve into many small straight lines. But of course without tabs it will be more difficult to glue.

On Ammunition and freed hostages:
I remember in another classic SciFi-Game, The Journeyman Project, you had what was called a zero-space pocket, which was a Bag with a small Quantum singularity inside, which allowed you to carry along big stuff with ease as the bag was bigger inside than outside. **Conjure that up, Harry Potter!**

Here are some photos of my finished Pyro. (feat. SjSquirrel's Medium Lifter as well)
With the inner Lasers, I cut out a part of their bulge, rather than cut out the wing in the position.
I'm a bit disappointed with how the canopy turned out: I think the Pyro looks much cooler with the black screens. Maybe I should have used some kind of dark transparent material like ancient photo film. Too late now anyway.

NEXT: Gauss Cannon and Missiles.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Here are the cut-out pieces for the Gauss gun and missiles.
I chose the Gauss gun, because it was my weapon of choice in Descent.

Parts of the missiles and gun rolled and glued.

As can be seen here, the rear plates of the missiles are a bit too big. I glued them in the center, then later cut off the overlapping part.

As can be seen, it seems strange to attach the gun directly to the hull...

... so I created a pylon from some surplus prints:

The gun and the first two missiles are ready to be installed.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
I'm loving the way this model keeps developing, and I always loved the Gauss cannon too. I'm going to be driven to build one of my own at this rate. Keep up the great work.

Steve
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 161.92 MB
That looks way nice! Good to see the missiles are working out as well! I wonder...what weight of paper are you using? I'm thinking my over-zealous use of heavy cardstock might be hurting me on this...

...oh...and I think that purple weapon is actually the Omega Cannon...the one that zaps things with a white beam of energy that also recharges your shields? I remember the Gauss Cannon looking more like a heavy duty Vulcan cannon (i.e. like a gatling gun?), even using the same ammo!

...Whoops! There goes that "thinking too hard about it" again... sorry about that...

(I may or may not have been playing Descent 2 recently... )
Old 04-26-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmr34 View Post
That looks way nice! Good to see the missiles are working out as well! I wonder...what weight of paper are you using? I'm thinking my over-zealous use of heavy cardstock might be hurting me on this...

...oh...and I think that purple weapon is actually the Omega Cannon...the one that zaps things with a white beam of energy that also recharges your shields? I remember the Gauss Cannon looking more like a heavy duty Vulcan cannon (i.e. like a gatling gun?), even using the same ammo!

...Whoops! There goes that "thinking too hard about it" again... sorry about that...

(I may or may not have been playing Descent 2 recently... )

That's really funny because I didn't really pay much attention to the pictures Chris posted, but in my head I was totally picturing the same weapons you are. And I barely thought at all.

On another note, the post with the picture of the medium lifter inspired me to start on this:
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-light-hulk.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Light Hulk model

Greetings Descent fans! For your enjoyment and to enhance the display of your new Pyro GX model I am pleased to deliver the Light Hulk enemy robot.

Available in lined and unlined versions and with an assembly reference to enhance your robot experience

Available now on my web site: Stevespaper.com

Note: I haven't built this, so consider yourself a beta builder, and post pictures. I'll use them on my web site.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img-03.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 161.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsquirrel View Post
Greetings Descent fans! For your enjoyment and to enhance the display of your new Pyro GX model I am pleased to deliver the Light Hulk enemy robot.

Available in lined and unlined versions and with an assembly reference to enhance your robot experience

Available now on my web site: Stevespaper.com

Note: I haven't built this, so consider yourself a beta builder, and post pictures. I'll use them on my web site.

Steve
Oh the Light Hulk...much more manageable than those stupid red ones that fires homing missiles at you...

...and quite manageable building it, cause I already have one done!

The closest thing to a problem I had with making this guy was that I probably printed it out too small (made the eye recess area a little more difficult to work with). Other than that, it was pretty straightforward with it's fairly simple geometry. Certainly a decent "one evening" project for the time-strapped paper modeler

(...reminds me also that I'm not getting very far in my desires to design some bots of my own...need to get going on that)
Attached Thumbnails
Pyro GX from Descent-img_1958.jpg   Pyro GX from Descent-img_1959.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 AM

Thank you for the light hulk, Steve.
I'm going to build one myself once I have the time.
Quick and nice built, Andersonmr34.

Feels a bit strange to get back to my petty build...

I was trying to figure out the right position for the cannon-powerup.
According to some sources, it should be in this position:

That is just not very good-looking. According to other sources its more to the back, so thats what I chose as the position for my cannon:

Now while this – as has been noted by Andersonmr34 – is not the Gauss cannon but rather the Omega cannon, I have decided to build the actual Gauss cannon as well. Don't know why I thought this one is the Gauss cannon. Funny thing is I thought the actual Gauss cannon looks cooler without knowing which one it is, but I chose the purple one because I thought it's the Gauss cannon. There will be more pics of that later.

For now here are two more pictures of the Pyro with 4 Missiles and the Omega Cannon. "Armed to the teeth" would be putting it mildly describing the Pyro when it comes to the Size/Firepower-Equation. ;-D

Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Some more build pics:

Here are the cut out parts for the Gauss Cannon and the Class 1 Driller (also Becker Industries):

When assembling, I found I needed four more glue tabs on the upper box-part of the Gauss cannon:

Here, the basic parts are assembled:

And here both cannon and bot are assembled:

And two battle pics. I left the orientation of the second image seemingly wrong, because in Descent, that angle is not unusual at all, bwuahuahuahua!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Armed to the teeth. Kinda reminds me of AirDave's SD A-10 with armaments all over it
Google Adsense