PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet

When a man is going boldly, he wants a comfy chair to do it in. Thanks to Perry's Planet, I got a chance to build just such a chair…only smaller. This is my attempt at building Captain James T. Kirk's command chair from the U.S.S. Enterprise.

(Note: All parts are scored before folding.)

CHAIR ARMS
I wanted the micro tapes to go into the slot on the arm. I cut out the slot and made a hollow spot for the tape to rest in. I cut a slightly bigger slot into a small piece of foam core, colored the inside black with a Sharpie, glued a piece of chipboard to bottom and then glued the whole thing underneath the slot.

I glued all the detail pieces to 1mm chipboard, cut them out and edge colored them. I only glued 1 side of the micro tapes to the chipboard, then glued the other side of the tape to the other side of the chipboard. Otherwise the tapes would have been too thick. I cut out the grill mesh area of the intercom for a recessed look.

I glued the chair sides to 1mm chipboard and edge colored it with silver Sharpie. I edge glued the top/bottom strips to the sides. The chipboard added strength and kept the sides nice and straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-1.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-2.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-3.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-4.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-5.jpg  

Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-6.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-7.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-8.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-9.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-10.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Seat base

I cut out the seat base and added a square of foam core on the bottom for strength and to keep the bottom level. I added some tabs made from scrap card stock in some key spots for gluing. I edge glued at the front where the seat curves down. I used gel Super Glue for a good hold. Then the sides got glued to the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-11.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-12.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-13.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-14.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Base

The base top got cut out and I added some tabs at the corners. I glued the base bottom to 1mm chipboard for strength and levelness, then edge colored it with silver Sharpie. When I glued the 2 parts together, I got worried about the lack of support and getting a good curve where the post goes. I cut a piece of 1mm chipboard and glued it inside and around the post curve. I used a BBQ skewer to get glue inside. I used gel Super Glue for a strong edge hold. Then I cut out the last edge piece, added some tabs at the ends to make it easier to glue, and glued it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-15.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-16.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-17.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-18.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-19.jpg  

Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-20.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-21.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 AM

I wanted the seat post to be strong in case I ever run across a Mego Kirk to sit in it. And I wanted it to fit well in the hole at the base. So, I used a toilet paper tube for the core and wrapped layers of 20lb copy paper around until I got the right thickness. I cut off the excess paper and glued the outer piece on.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-22.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-23.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-24.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Seat cushion

The seat cushion is a little finicky because of it's curves and small parts. And since it's black you can't really see the fold marks on the printed part. But if I can get a decent result then anyone can! I cut out all the parts and edge colored them all with black Sharpie. I also colored some of the back of the parts. For the cushion bottom I carefully edge glued the small strips on with gel Super Glue. The seat back gets an accordion fold to separate the top and bottom sections. I had to work the curve at the top with a wooden dowel until it folded enough to edge glue the top and sides. Again, I used gel Super Glue. The back of the seat is 2 parts and both were edge glued on with gel Super Glue. Then the back got glued to the bottom.

I glued the side pieces to 1mm chip board, cut them out. colored the backs and edges with black Sharpie, and glued them together. This got the parts the right thickness and I didn't have to use the thin edge strips that come with the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-25.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-26.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-27.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-28.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-29.jpg  

Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-30.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-31.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-32.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-33.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 AM

Seat arms

I cut out the chair arms and edge colored them with brown marker. I opted to use the slow but simple method for these and edge glued them together. I went a little at a time and used gel Super Glue so they'd be strong and I wouldn't have to hold the parts long. I started where the arms curve up toward the chair back and worked my way across the tops and down the ends, meeting at on the bottom just like the parts are cut. I glued the arms to the seat with regular craft glue so I'd have time to position them correctly.

I glued the cushion section to the chair base with regular craft glue so I'd have a chance to make any adjustments needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-34.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-35.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-36.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-37.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-38.jpg  

Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-39.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-40.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Final pics with details

I used a liberal amount of craft glue to mount the seat to the post. Then, the whole thing went together like a champ. To give the chair more detail, I glued 12mm Glamour Glitz crystals (available at Hobby Lobby) where the dome-shaped resin lights were. Then I printed out some extras of the left side panels and made more raised details. I made a triangular pieces to look like the rocker switches and the resin lights on that side. However, I couldn't find anything to use for the white plunger buttons on the right arm. If anyone has an suggestions, let me know.

All in all, I think it came out pretty well. Thanks to Perry for making a great model. If only I could sit in it!
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-41.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-42.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-43.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-44.jpg   Captain Kirk's Chair from Perry's Planet-45.jpg  

Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nicely done. I got into papermodeling while I was making theater props. I would print on overhead transparency, then project on cardboard, etc. I think you could have one that you could sit in, but you'd have to go more solid than cardboard, and you would have to sew seat cushions. But it could be done!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.92 MB
Beautiful work and a beautiful design!!!! Thanks for the build pictures!!!!!

Steve Arlo - "Zero Effect" - 1998
Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
plunger buttons,......wire painted gull grey or white?
Google Adsense