PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
That is awesome work! I just can't help but think that rocket pods would works great on helicopter. But on a jet, the pods will create so much turbulence it would make it unflyable in real life. Would be cool to see if somebody could do a wind tunnel test on that baby to see if it is passable fly.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Rocket pods in real life sound like nonsense. But, if you notice, the battle pose with pods in opened phase is realised in slow speed or hover modeof the dropship.

Critical situation is opening act of the pods itself, because the ship is unstable at the moment and the center of gravity (and air resistance) is changing fast.

wind tunnel test will be great....but i noticed that, it is for lot of money.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM

I cannot helped myself and and began to work at the APC bay.

The middle section

complete with tail

the tiny ribs in the bay

and "work in progress" mess

...little holes in the ribs (this will be optional)...making holes is a pain

front section...that was hard as hell....to think about the angel of the front bevel...there was serious chance to open a hole trough the hull

and overall view...

at the end..something from the movie to think about...

Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I love to watch this! From the Alien series the dropship with APC and the cargo bay loader are my favorite props. Can't wait to see more. That picture tells a story I think - the scene is much more dramatic that way and that might be the reason they used mixed scales. :-)

Tappi
Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM

I know, I like that moment from the movie too, but if you want to make some serious research then you can clearly see where the FX crew used this or that model...and then you must choose which one of them do you thrust (in shape or scale).
Funny thing

UD-4L Dropship with APC will be full of compromises...
My angle of view on the whole project is real life Scale and decreasing it into 1:24. So the primary pattern for me from the movie is 1:1 scale props and instalations....everything where you can clearly see people around the studio instalations.....

Iīm curious which problem or challenge will be next...
Old 06-07-2014, 04:41 AM

APC research has began

First thing Iīve noticed was the clearance height of the APC. All over the internet are the APCs allmost offroads.
Here is the question of functional - optional height of Aliens APC and itīs imaginary terrain passability. Anyway,
there is Colonial Marine Technical Manual drawing( Again) exist and lots of people take it as a fact.
Thatīs why allmost every internet apc is terrain version (no offence)

Movie version APC is low profile vehicle. (fits better into our Dropship)
The difference between those two states is 12cm in real life...a Iīve calcuclated. That is 0.5cm in our model...thatīs a negligible number.
A guy call himself Hydride Ion done serious research and created really nice thechnical drawing that confirm most movie props.

I wanted to go deeper and confirm Hydride Ionīs predictions about the shape and clearance height..and here it is:

1) APC taken directly from USCM TM and lowered in clearance height.

2) Hydride Ionīs blueprint shows few differences (profile contour is bit different and rear whell fender is higher than in USCM technical manual art)

3) Photo of 1:1 movie prop (de-perspective-ised) shows that Hydride Ions technical blueprint is right.

4) All layers visible ī=> show the way how to create te APC...movie prop and Hydrid Ions way

...research continues...
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Does the Colonial Marine Technical Manual suggest adjustable suspension depending on operation or vehicle status? :D In the cargo bay and rolling out or operating in flat environment > low rider, tougher terrain > higher setting? You put a lot of thinking and energy in this work (as you do with all your models) and that's why I like this thread.

Tappi
Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I had the same thoughts as Tappi about the suspension perhaps being adjustable for the situation. That would make sense and make things easier in the "real" world. The adjustments could be made by pneumatics, hydraulics, electro-mechanical, or some weird sci-fi/fantasy movie process not yet invented or realized.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I don't think that it is correct to try to equate the APC with a contemporary cross-country vehicle like Stryker...I always thought that it was designed and intended for more of an urban security role than actual warfighting cross-country. Thos might be supported by the fact that a vessel the size of the Sulaco only carries a small number (2-3) of dropships and only a few lightly armed Marines...

Thus a low-riding suspension and body line would seem to make sense in that scenario, possibly more so when you consider that they didn't really have a clue what they were getting into when they dropped on to LV-429(?); if they did, I doubt that such a lightly armed force would have been deployed...
Old 06-07-2014, 09:39 AM

If weīll talk about imaginary APC unit, then we can clearly confirm that the APC unit have adaptive suspension for various terrains...there is no doubt about it

Importat question is: Which version create for the -paper- droship?

Pros for high (terrain ) version:

High approach angle, good mobility

Cons:

High profile for the APC bay in the dropship, not movie accurate

Pros for the lowered movie version:

low profile for the APC bay in the dropship, movie accuracy

Cons:

low approach angle (I must calculate and simulate the combat drop for confirmation of this APC configuration), low mobility (you need flat surface for operating this model.)

....I know, that for the possible RC modellers who can change the clearance height operatively, this question makes no sense.

If we talk about papermodel, then good compromise will be to create "holes" for both versions and leave the decission to the paperbuilder.

...or make adaptive suspension from the paper ?!? ..Iīm making a whip on myself