PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Project Dropship 1:24 / Aliens

Hi again fellow papermodellers/builders/designers,

It is 1.5 years since u.s.s.Sulaco was finished and I needed a break from all ALIENS things.

12 years ago Iīve builded a Dropship from Derrin Proctors 3D model made by Halcyon plastic kit. The paper model was horrible and I cancelled the development of this iconic ship for one year.
Derrinīs 3D model is still around in the internet and you can download it in various formats. Every second dropship you will google is based on his project.

In 2003 I ve created my own AutoCad 3D model that i liked and...after that (2005) Iīve constructed the cockpit only...that was the last thing I did for the dropship.

__________________________________________________ _______

NOW i thing is the right time to reopen my project of the
1:24 scale UD-4L Cheyenne Utility Dropship

Well...This time it will be little bit different. If you look into internet, you will find few modellers who designed their dropships by themselves.
Sometime better sometimes less better according to released reference materials.

Derrin Proctorīs 3D dropship.

Halcyon model kit

and finally ..one of the movie props

Thre are so many differences, from the model props and 1:1 studio installed Dropship in the movie, trough official model kit from Halcyon to each modelers around the world....SO..

Iīve decide to go my way. There will be no such movie 100% accurate model, (it canīt be done anyway) but it will be dropship trough my eyes. I want to make fully moveable model - front legs, rocket pods, rear leg, wings....
Where is no reference material, no detail (like engine intakes) or some ugly thing or movie dropship and movie prop not match -> then is time for my inovation

...it will be long way trip..specially with the 3d model development....so be patient
I started wit my 11 years old model and thinking about the moveable parts:

moveable leg - optimalized for papermodel

rentgen view...

Old 05-30-2014, 11:02 AM

few more details..

battle mode

..thatīs all for now.....i hope that there will be more progress soon.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Excellent Jan! Very excited for this one! -J
Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Wow! This will be a very interesting journey. I am always impressed about how you can look at a design and be able to break it up into buildable components. Amazing
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Thanks for bringing this one up from the scrap pile. You forgot to post your cockpit details, so I uploaded them, I hope you do not mind. That Halycon model is a nightmare and very badly manufactured, but there are a few persons out there who have persevered and made a fantastic job in fixing and scratch building it. I have built your smaller version and upscaled it to 1/72 and it came out real great. I must confess, that I gave up three times, the problem with the smaller scale, was the wing gun pod extension, it wanted to curve inwards and I had to force it to stay in place. The APC is another story all to itself, like the drop ship, the amount of interior detail in the movie is impossible to place into the model. That APC is very cramped and the interior of the dropship is also cramped if you were to install all of the movie details. I am waiting to see you work come to a reality and thank you for all of your works that you have shared with all of us. Enjoy and see you around the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Dropship 1:24 / Aliens-cockpit3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM

silveroxide

If you mean that rear rocket pods on the arms, then use small strip of the coca cola can - small piece of alumunium is like a miracle for the model. Glue the strip between the papers represents the top and bottom parts of the arm..and it is done
...same working fo rear bigger wings..
Dropship interior will be pain..because there is not too much space as i wanted..it will be a real challenge...thatīs why i calculating, that creation of 3d model will be longer process than papermodel itself....

Cockpit, how nice the last version is , it must be rebuilded......

for the positive end.. Iīve done something by myself. There is no clear idea of How look the intakes of the engines..movie props lack details really bad.
..here is mine

Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 MB
Wow - you had me at "Hi" - this is definitely a project to follow.

Am I right in saying 1:24 is significantly bigger than even the large APC on your website? That was my first ever paper model, and while I never quite completed it (it sits with the wheels missing on my table as a reminder), it's what got me into learning more about paper modelling and drove me to start building other models.

Excited to see how this (eventually) turns out.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.92 MB
You are da Man, Jan!!!! I am so excited about this project and your beautiful graphics I spilt my morning coffee!!!!! Keep up the GREAT work!!!!

Steve Arlo - "Zero Effect" - 1998
Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Wow!! This will be an even cooler design thread than the Sulaco...!!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:07 AM

BiggusDoggus

good question. APC will be needed to rebuild too. I must be 100% sure that it fits into the dropship.. So there must be APC Mark 2 created
There is lots of things to do...and APC is one of them

My first APC (2002) is unfolded Derrins Proctors 3d model. If I look at it now, lots of thing will be done different way today..and now I have a chance

Last edited by alien99; 05-31-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Google Adsense