PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
not yet elliot,.. i took a break because i burned myself out, work also got busy and summertime with the kids etc,.. it will be started back up soon,.. trying to decid how to model a 90 degree bend paper tube wise,.. which i think will have to be done in paper segments,.. any such patterns out there that exist?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Depending on how large the angle is, I did it in the Fokker build thread.
It involved making a jig for the part, rolling the tube, using a very fine piece
of sprue on the inside to prevent collapsing the paper, wetting it with rubbing
alcohol, forming it and letting it dry. The sprue is then pulled out, leaving the paper only.

Here is a post from that thread showing the methodology

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 PM

Sweet! check it out! thanks texman!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
Depending on how large the angle is, I did it in the Fokker build thread.
It involved making a jig for the part, rolling the tube, using a very fine piece
of sprue on the inside to prevent collapsing the paper, wetting it with rubbing
alcohol, forming it and letting it dry. The sprue is then pulled out, leaving the paper only.

Here is a post from that thread showing the methodology

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway
I finally caught up on your thread!,.. very impressive!,.. at a smaller diameter your technique will work,.. i believe the tube i will need to make is at least 1/4 of an inch in diameter with a sharp 90 degree bend
Old 12-14-2015, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Quick-n-dirty tracks

I'm working on a Siege Tank from Starcraft, and I decided to redesign the tracks. I think I built the front and rear tracks 4 times each before I was happy with them. Then I shelved the whole model for about 4 years, because I was absolutely SICK of making tracks.

At any rate, this is how I make them:
  • Lay out a strip of thin cardboard the wide of your tracks and the length of the track. Cut partway through it every half inch (or less if you want smaller links. I used a small hole punch to notch the edges on each end of my cuts.
  • Glue smaller pieces on the front side (the side that will show) for the pads, or cleats or whatever.
    Wrap the track around your rollers, trim it to fit (if necessary), and put the seam somewhere where it won't show. On the siege tank, I put it on top, where it's covered by the armor.

It's not super-accurate with anything. It won't look like Patroch's Warhammer 40K tracks, but looks fairly decent when done.

Below are a few pictures of the siege tank track blocks when I finished them, the hole punch I used to cut all the holes (and later on, rivets), and 2 shots of the lovely Meredith, the cat I used to operate. I was NOT the one who dumped her on her side. That was another operator. But it does show a unique angle of her tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
40k Warhammer Tank treads for Scraptank-10-21-09_1010.jpg   40k Warhammer Tank treads for Scraptank-meredith-2.jpg   40k Warhammer Tank treads for Scraptank-dscf2774.jpg   40k Warhammer Tank treads for Scraptank-dscf2784.jpg   40k Warhammer Tank treads for Scraptank-20151025_102741.jpg  

"Truth simply is. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant."
Google Adsense