PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 161.92 MB
MW4 Arctic Wolf

...So...why the Arctic Wolf?!

...A few months ago, I thought it would be a fun project to build "all the MechWarrior 4 mechs " (since the remaining models were completed beginning of this year). Got through all the Black Knight expansion mechs (Sunder, Wolfhound, Ryoken, Uller, and Black Knight) and halfway through the "Mech Pak" mechs (Kodiak, Masakari, Hunchback, and Highlander)...and then got burned out in the middle of making the Artic Wolf...

Two and a half months later...took today to finish it!

Designed by Blaar and built to 1:40 scale. The skin was a custom one done by CMOsturm (file name "arcticwolf_dun-rust", included with the .pdo). The little blue origami guy is scaled to my height (6' 1" or 184 cm) in 1:40 scale...just to give some "perspective". (Looks like it would be a tight fit if I were to pilot this one!)

Despite spanning two and half months, it really wasn't a difficult build...just the feet and toes being a little small to work with.

So, yeah...that is that! Don't know if this means project "build all the MW4 mechs" will continue...maybe at least finish up the last 3 "mech pak" mechs? Who knows?!

(Also, does anyone know what happened to mechwarrior3.org? Apparently it doesn't exist anymore?)
Attached Thumbnails
MW4 Arctic Wolf-img_2328.jpg   MW4 Arctic Wolf-img_2329.jpg   MW4 Arctic Wolf-img_2330.jpg   MW4 Arctic Wolf-img_2333.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Nice build. A suggestion for future builds, try and print the "lineless" version of the pdo. Makes for an overall cleaner look.

Looking forward to the rest of the collection.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice looking 'mech you have there. I like it. Did you find the need for any internal support (skin sections laminated with cardboard, etc) in 1/40? My mechs are all built at 1/80, and even at that scale I find the need to laminate behind some faces now and then. On the Pepakura screen if you click on setting, and then on print setting you can lighten those pesky dotted lines. I run my models at 50% transparency. The tabs are still obvious after printing, but the lines are barely there. I think you're right about MW3. I clicked on my saved link and got a godaddy page (sniff). Praise be to the paper modeling gods that I've already downloaded pretty much every 'mech model that was available on that site. Hopefully they'll all be hosted in one place eventually. I'm almost done with a MC2 Catapult. I'll post some pics when it's completed.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:01 AM

...the fold lines are pretty obvious aren't they...I'll mess around with those transparency settings for next time, see if I can find a good compromise (don't want to get rid of the lines completely, since they help me know where to score).

As for the reinforcing, the Artic Wolf was small enough not to need it (been using 120 lb. cardstock on everything). However, the larger ones, like the Kodiak, Sunder and especially the Masakari, did need extra support along the big flat faces. I've been just laminating an extra layer or two of cardstock, and that seems to work. The Masakari had a very large piece that probably should have had cardboard reinforcing...

...Hmm, since mech3.org is dead, I might have to get some pictures of all these other built mechs I mentioned and post them here...
Old 10-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That would be great. I'd love to see your other builds. I admire the more parts heavy MW4 models, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to finish one if I were to start it. I've mostly built MC2s, and a few MW3s. Got about a dozen and a half completed so far.
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
WOW, an Arctic Wolf.

Never thought I would see it built. That was one of the very first mech models that I helped to convert to paper plans.

Looking great BTW

As for mech3.org, find it odd that it is dead now. As far as I can remember enough donations was received to pay for this year's hosting and there was almost enough to make a good junk in the hosting fees for next year.

As for mech models. I have not done a thing since I lost about all of my built models. the passion died loosing about 20+ built models.

It was good to see you still building mech models andersonmr34. Completing all the MW4 is a daunting task. Maybe in few years from now you will have them all built.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
That would be great. I'd love to see your other builds. I admire the more parts heavy MW4 models, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to finish one if I were to start it. I've mostly built MC2s, and a few MW3s. Got about a dozen and a half completed so far.
I'll get some pictures up later today...just trying to figure out the best way to go about doing that... (there will be quite a few pictures!)

Don't be too discouraged about trying out a MW4 model. The ones I've made so far haven't been too hard...just a few more pieces is all!

...Though, I would probably recommend against scaling them down...or at least don't scale down the light mechs that have lots of small parts already. Tried and failed at a 1/80 scale Flea before finding that out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaar View Post
WOW, an Arctic Wolf.

Never thought I would see it built. That was one of the very first mech models that I helped to convert to paper plans.

Looking great BTW

As for mech3.org, find it odd that it is dead now. As far as I can remember enough donations was received to pay for this year's hosting and there was almost enough to make a good junk in the hosting fees for next year.

As for mech models. I have not done a thing since I lost about all of my built models. the passion died loosing about 20+ built models.

It was good to see you still building mech models andersonmr34. Completing all the MW4 is a daunting task. Maybe in few years from now you will have them all built.
Thanks! I didn't know that was one of your first paper models, glad that I could make the first one then!

...indeed, maybe spreading this all out over a few years will be the way to go, making all the MW4 mechs... I guess we'll see!