PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 388.23 MB
Cool Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing

Okay, I've been posting my progress of my X-Wing build in 3D over at Starship Modelers on Facebook for the last few weeks. My original hope was to get this thing to be a paper card model too, but I have little time to learn Pepakura at this time. I definitely want to learn it but it will have to be after the New Year. I DO know Cinema 4D however, and have been modeling and animating in that, professionally for over 12 years.

If you'd like to see my whole build of this 3D model, here's my Flickr Album: The Force Awakens X-Wing 3D Model build by Dale Jackson

Okay, so for you guys and gals who know 3D and Pepakura, I'm offering my 3D model that I built using photo/video references that we've all seen so far - for FREE! yes for free! I'd love for any expert of Pepakura to see if you can take the .OBJ model and unfold it.

Here's the link to my 3D models in both native Cinema 4Dr16 and .OBJ formats. I can post these here in the file section too if you'd like or the Admin can. This is my interpretation of the new X-Wing seen in the teaser trailer.

OBJ Format
TFA X-Wing .OBJ format (no textures or animation)

.C4D format
TFA X-Wing Cinema 4Dr16 .C4D format. basic textures, w/ animated wings.

Attached Thumbnails
Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-christmasxwing.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build45.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build51.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build49.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build44.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Holy moly! This looks GREAT!!! If you really manage to turn it into a paper model, I am sure that this one will become a HUGE hit!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
Holy moly! This looks GREAT!!! If you really manage to turn it into a paper model, I am sure that this one will become a HUGE hit!
Thanks!! I am secretly hoping there are some experts with turning 3D models into paper models, those who know Pepakura. I have the demo of it, but haven't bought it yet. I really want to, but I thought I'd release my Phase 3 of this model before I go further. I'll be adding a cockpit and landing gear too.

I do have the wings animated for those who have Cinema 4D as I do. Here's the video of me working with the wings.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm not sure how to add files to the file directory, but if someone of Admin status would like to, feel free to do so - I realize it's not a paper card model, hopefully someone can unfold it.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:08 PM

Here's some in-progress pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-10835116_699035730203339_6174111880643371516_o.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build29.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build5.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build15.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build18.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2014, 02:10 PM

And more recent in-progress pics (more are in that Flickr link I provided in my initial post)

Attached Thumbnails
Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build27.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build28.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build42.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build32.jpg   Merry Christmas! The Force Awakens X-Wing-xwing-build36.jpg  

Old 12-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.46 MB
as it is the model will be too complex for pepakura to unfold. to model for paper is similar to modeling for games. smaller details generally dont translate and pepakura has a limit on how many faces you can have
Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Perhaps some modelers who know 3D can simplify it? I'll have to revisit it later and see if I can do that myself, but I need to press forward and build the gear and cockpit. At the least, someone can use the profile side, top, front, back views of it and try to extrapolate a paper model
Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 256.10 MB
Nice work. This looks really good.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelator View Post
Nice work. This looks really good.
Thanks so much!
Google Adsense

Tags
3d model, episode vii, star wars, x-wing