PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
UPPER HULL FRAMEWORK

Truth be told, I'd put off working a lot on the framework for the top hull because it takes a long time and I'd kind of lost my drive. But, today was the day to get back on the horse...or in this case, Hawk.

First, I had to scratch build a greeblie to represent the lunar module piece behind the command module. I used 67 lb. white cover to build with. I drew out the parts freehand, did some test fitting and trimming, then glued it into this basic shape, making sure it cleared the framework.

I used bamboo skewer to make a mock up of the framework for size and placement. Once I got it locked down, I made a new piece out of 2mm styrene. At this size and shape, there was no way I was going to get a good piece out of paper and I want this to look as nice as I can make it. I taped rails to the cutting map, lined the mock up next to it, then cut and glued in the center rod working from the back to the front to keep the part from twisting.

To get the stripes on the frame, I made various size stripes (3mm-8mm) on the computer to match the studio model. I printed this on sticker paper, cut out the stripes and applied them as needed.

I've still got the side struts that go down both sides of the frame, but getting this part built and on made me really want to get back on this build as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-100_5519.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-100_5520.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-100_5521.jpg  
Old 01-28-2017, 09:32 PM

MORE FRAMEWORK

Long time, no post, everyone! I've had a lot going on in the last 8 months that's eaten up a lot of my time. Not the least of which was starting a new job! But there's finally a little normalcy back and that, plus a head cold keeping me inside, got me to sit down today and work on the Hawk.

It's not a huge amount of progress, but I did manage to build the two frames that connect the tops of the boosters to the rear fuselage. They are made from 2mm styrene rods that I cut to shape. The colored marks stickers like the ones I put on the upper framework. All of it was done by eye, so there was a lot of trial and error. They certainly aren't laser straight, but neither were the ones on the studio model. I used my editing block for splicing 8-track tapes as a mitre box for cutting the rods.

While waiting for the frames to dry, I used more styrene rod to make the three "cables" that run along the top of the upper framework. This stuff is super-small and bendable. I glued it down using Super Glue gel and then clipped the ends with my sharp precision scissors.

Next, I glued the frames in place using regular papercraft gel glue so I'd have time to adjust the fit.

Lastly for today, and easily the most maddening, I cut and glued the 14 little pieces of rod that go down the sides of the upper framework and attach to the main fuselage. Again, this was all done by hand and isn't perfect, but it gives a decent representation of what the studio model looks like.

That's all for today.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s2.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s4.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s5.jpg  

Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s6.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-s7.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
As always you're doing a great job there bro! Also due to a cold was deep in the trenches. Pulled out of it in a day tho, amazing what deep breathing can do for the health. I'm still not sure where this fits in with space 1999 or UFO, is it a fictional fan craft? Or in a unfilmed episode? Was it on Gerry's drawing board when the series ended?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
It was in the first season episode "Wargames"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj0qp6P25sI

Last edited by ARMORMAN; 01-30-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
wow , thanks dude, for some reason I was associating this with UFO
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM

Those shows are actually "cousins," Spaceagent. When the second season of UFO was canceled, the Andersons reimagined it into Space: 1999.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Beautiful work! I, also was around for the original series broadcast. My favorite show for so long. I once pre-cut, the blew up a plastic model of a Hawk with a firecracker. Filmed it with a wind up 8mm movie camera