PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk

It’s only been a few years since I ventured into the world of Space:1999. I was too young to catch it in first run and it wasn’t in syndication where I lived. The only exposure I had to the show was through toy and model ads and the rare sci-fi publication. Thanks to the Internet, I was finally able to give the show a look and on the whole I’ve found it very entertaining. The “science” part is almost pure hogwash, but the look and feel of the show is very appealing and the model work is first-rate. To me, the Eagles and other earth technology seems very “real world” possible, more so than Star Trek. That includes the Hawk spacecraft seen only once in the first season episode “War Games.” It’s a smaller, faster, more heavily-armed craft than the Eagle.

So I decided to take a break from Trek and build myself a Hawk. The only model I know of is JayBats and it’s been on my computer for a couple of years. I printed out the files and started building. As usual, I started looking for ways to make it more screen accurate. While this is a nice, simple model as-is, it is way off on detail and parts structure. So I gathered up a bunch of pics of the studio model (they made a 5”, 16” and 33” version) and got to changing. As usual, I’ve turned it into a quest to the point that I have scrapped the first model and started over. The new model is a combination of JayBats structure, new art and some scratch building. The original screen model Hawks were hastily built models with a lot of details drawn and painted freehand. The 3 versions differ greatly in detail. I have decided to do as “clean” a version as I can of the 33” model with some of my own detail preferences here and there. Let’s see if I can pull this off without going crazy!

As usual, all parts are scored and edge colored as needed. However, this is the first model where I’ll be using watercolor pencils to edge color instead of markers. I hope to avoid some of the massive edge bleeding I’ve had in the past. I’m also getting rid of the fold lines during the digital repaint stage. For this build I’m including reference pics and comparison pics of old parts to new parts to avoid spelling out every detail change. I will make note of important changes/challenges as they come up.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-hawk-example.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM

TARGETING SENSORS

I started with the targeting sensors because they are the simplest part. They are simple box shapes. I cut the tab off the long side and glued a new one made from 20 lb. printer paper from the back for a butt-fit seam. I kept the small tabs at the front and rear, as I do with most parts, because they were too small and fiddly to make new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-targeting-sensors_1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-targeting-sensors_2.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-targeting-sensors_3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-a1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-a2.jpg  

Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello bgt01 :-) been a fan of the show since watching it when first aired, and I'm interested in seeing how you're going to develop this model....
FYI, I use watercolour for edge painting, buying those little childs' colouring sets from thrift stores and the like. I tried the watercolour pencils, but had trouble getting a consistent cover, but they're waaaay better than inky markers and such!
Is that an 'official' model from the series there? I swear I can see bits of Airfix plastic and what looks a lot to me like a lipstick cap! I remember seeing the genuine Blakes 7 Liberator model once, and it was broken, revealing the BBC plastic cup used for part of it....
Anyhow, good luck your design work. I'll pop in from time to time to see how you're doing :-)
Plumdragon
Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Thanks Plumdragon. That is a picture of the 33" (foreground) and 16" (background) studio models. The models were mostly made up of Airfix parts, which made it pretty easy for Airfix to release the "official" model for kids. The rest is lots of bits and pieces of random items. Those models are really, really rough and were made and painted in a rush. There is a site called the Space: 1999 Catacombs that lists the parts and has lots of good pics. Mine won't pass for "real" by any means but hopefully I can make some improvements.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM

COMMAND MODULE

The command module and all the remaining parts got massive repaints. The original Hawks were built with tons of Airfix model bits and greeblies so they had a lot of detail. And, there was a lot of last-minute painting when it was decided the Hawk looked too much like the Eagle on screen (originally the Hawks were all white).

To start, I added recessed yellow view ports. The original model had no cockpit so you didn’t have to see inside. The areas around the viewports were painted white on the Hawks to contrast the black on the Eagles. After filming, these areas were painted back to black, but white is screen correct. I used a super light gray to give it some definition. I also added my version of the slotted pieces of metal that run along the bottom edge of the viewport area. It’s hard to see on the pics, but it’s there.

The orange paint scheme was off at the rear, so I tried my best to correct it but since I couldn’t quite make it work on the unfolded part. You can see what I was going for in the reference pic. I added all the various panel lines, raised details and greeblie parts I could determine as close to original position and size as possible. To make life a little easier, I printed all my newly made parts and raised areas on separate sheets.

For assembly I cut off all the tabs and glued new tabs made from scraps of the same color from the old model from behind. Very small tabs were left off and those areas were edge glued using Super Glue gel. One tricky area is where the top of the viewport meets the hull (see the picture where the metal pick is pointing). I had to trim this area a little at a time to get it to fit together without puckering. I used the pick to push the edges into place and avoid creasing or ripping the part. Once the module was completely glued I started added the raised details. It’s better to do this last because gluing them flat makes it tougher for the now double-thick paper to fold or curve into its new shape. Sometime it can even cause the part to rip or the raised panel to pop off from the tension. Lastly I added the nose cone. It doesn’t match the studio model, but it’s what worked with the original part and it looks OK.

Next up is the fuselage, which I’ve already done a lot of work on.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-command-module_1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-command-module_2.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-command-module_3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b2.jpg  

Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b4.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b5.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b6.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-b7.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
looking good so far!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:35 AM

WINGS

Before working on the fuselage I reworked the wings that hold the main guns. I redrew all the graphics as they were not like the model at all. There are lots of raised details top and bottom and also some color. There are also some domed plastic pieces on the wing bottoms that I couldn’t replicate so I made similar shapes to take their place.

The wings are designed as simple box-like pieces with a connecting piece that is made to glue across the top of the fuselage along with gluing the wings down. The problem is that throws off the look of the model and it’s a tough piece to line up, and the wings won’t be in the same place as on the studio model. Also, I already knew I was redoing the fuselage with raised detail which wouldn’t work with the wing center piece. I cut out the center and built each side separate. I used my metal pick to poke the holes in the leading wing edge then glued a small strip of black paper behind for a better recessed look. Making the little striped circle was a real challenge. I used double-sided tape to attach the circle to 2 pieces of 67 lb. white cover, then used a hole punch on the center and trimmed the outer edge. Inside the circle there is supposed to be a hollow rounded rectangle of the same height, but that was just too small for me to make so I skipped trying to hollow it out. There are still some dome/pole-like pieces that I have to create that go where the circles are behind the rings.

On the studio model, the wings sort of wrap around the guns. You can see this in the reference pics. So I cut the outer bottom off each wing and trimmed the edge to match the model. I’ll have to do some filling of some sort when I go to install the guns but they should look better than if they were just glued to a flat bottom wing.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-wings_1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-wings_2.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-wings_3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-c1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-c2.jpg  

Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-c3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-c4.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM

FUSELAGE

This is the main fuselage that connects to the rear of the command module. It got a complete repaint. Through studying the model I discovered the proportions of this part are off by being too narrow in the center. Changing that would have lead to a host of changes I wasn’t ready to try and undertake, so I settled for working within the dimensions of the part as-is, which is fine overall. Again, all the tabs were cut off and new ones glued from behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-main-fuselage_1.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-main-fuselage_2.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-main-fuselage_3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Repainting the part had to be approached as 2 parts. Like most of the Hawk, the port and starboard sides are not mirror images of each other due to the last-minute freehand nature of detailing the model. So each side was done separately with little part crossover. I added panels, lines, markings and raised details as best I could. Again, I took some design liberties with the drawn on parts and made some as raised detail to add more realism. I couldn’t find out what the gray square with the big “E” said on it, so I made it up and wrote “Earth Global Defence Command, Hawk Mk. 9 013.” The “013” was for my birthday. There are 4 squares at the rear that should have raised small raised circles. They were too small for me to make, so I used the same metal pick technique I used on the wing edges in reverse. I poked a tiny hole in the center then slowly pushed the pick through from the back. This pushed the paper out into a raised circle. I also did this with the raised circle on the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d2.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d3.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d4.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d5.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d6.jpg  

Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d7.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d8.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d9.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 AM

The top was the hardest part because the tube cage on the model restricts getting a good look at it, but it seems rather plain. There are more greeblie parts I’ll have to try and make, but I’m holding off on that until I get to the tubing.

I also added the four small trapezoid “wings” at the front and rear at each side. I drew them out on 67 lb. white cover and glued them on with Super Glue gel.

By far the most difficult part has been the geometric trim pieces that go across the top of the squares. This part is very small and thin. I used a new X-acto blade and used no pressure when cutting. I just moved the blade back and forth until the part was finally cut. I managed to not tear, crease or otherwise mangle it this way. The port side is done, but I still have to do the starboard one.
Attached Thumbnails
Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d10.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d11.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d12.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d13.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d14.jpg  

Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d15.jpg   Space: 1999 mark ix hawk-d16.jpg  
Google Adsense