PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Derelict ALIEN Ship by Uhu02

Great news, indeed!

Uhu02, or Sensei, the incredibly talented, tenacious and productive model designer from Japan, who has brought us so many marvellously rich and detailed models, recently from the Interstellar and 2001 - A Space Odyssey Sci-Fi movies, plus a super-detailed Lunar Module model (the Apollo 13 "Aquarius"), has now bravely embarked on a complicated and interesting model design project:

The 'derelict spaceship' from the first ALIEN (1979) movie, no less!!!

A card model which, I can safely say, we have all longed and hoped to see 'coming alive' for some time. Until now, nobody has yet succesfully tackled the complex compound curves, on paper, inherent in this ship's 'organic' structure (as visualized by H. R. Giger).
And here's Uhu02's design plan, as seen through the design software:

When this model is completed, and it will this time around, I'm sure of it, it will be a very fine tribute and homage both to the ingenious Swiss artist and sculptor H. R. (Hans Rudy) Giger, who designed the original alien derelict ship, along with the ghoulish look of the ALIEN crustaceous creatures and eggs, but also to Ridley Scott for his recent prequel movie Prometheus, where this huge ship is featured as it heavily crashes down into the position where it was found in the original ALIEN movie (of 1979), where we for the first time saw it's contour outlined as a dark silhouette (like a menacing dead hand) against the bleek sky of the forbidding (and in later movies new frontier) planet.

Frames (and composite) from Ridley Scott's recent Prometheus movie:

The images used above are taken directly from Uhu02/ Sensei's web site, where the exciting design progress can now be followed as it unfolds:
LV-223 'Juggernaut' Alien ship??????: uhu02 ????????

I can't wait...
All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
No better person to do it!

Thanks for finding it!

John
Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 AM

My sentiments exactly, John,

I can't think of any better man to finally do it. Here are some of the many curved paper parts as envisioned by Uhu02/ Sensei:

And here are two complimentary images, scans (not mine) from the fascinating and comprehensive book on the original movie, ALIEN VAULT, pages 91 and 92, where artist H. R. Giger can be seen on the lower image, rendering the alien derelict ship. It is a wonderful book, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. The first page shows the inside entrances to the control room, where 'the space jockey' (in the Prometheus movie, 'engineer') is found dead in his gigantic organic skeleton spacesuit:

ALIEN VAULT, page 91:

ALIEN VAULT, page 92:

Fascinating stuff!

Bengt in Stockholm

Last edited by Bengt Fredén; 02-02-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-02-2015, 10:22 AM

Latest news from Uhu02,

yesterday, February 1st, on the design development of the many curved parts: LV-223 'Juggernaut' Alien ship???????: uhu02 ????????

By the way, I think that Uhu02's analysees of how the derelict ship came to rest in it's final place (based on Ridley Scott's movie Prometheus) are very insightful and in a way rather charming!

Bengt
Old 02-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
way to go UHOU02!!!! you're the man to do it!!!
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
As always, absolutely amazing. I just don't have a grasp on designing in 3D. For print jobs, signs, logos, photo retouching, catalogs, etc. I can handle. But 3D is outside of my skills. I can usually build paper models, and maybe recolor, retexture, or modify them, but not design them from scratch. I envy the people here who can design the model in 3D and then unfold it into a paper model.
Clif
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.60 MB
Just saying, as I'm not sure if everyone here knows, Uhu is designing the Juggernaut ship from Prometheus, which is NOT the same as the Derelict from the original Alien. Prometheus takes place on planet LV-223 and Alien/Aliens on LV-426
Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Indeed. Since we don't know how long the Derelict was lying on LV-426 the Juggernaut on LV-223 could be a predecessor or a newer advanced model of the same ship type. The picture in the first post illustrates the differences rather nicely.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
I was kinda looking forward to Thorst design on this! Disapointing!
Mike

Last edited by OhioMike; 02-07-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Juggernaut ship from Prometheus!

Interesting, Cforrest900 and Revell-Fan,

Thanks!
Uhu02 is obviously designing the 'Juggernaut' ship from the latest Prometheus movie, which bears a very close resemblance to the original Alien 1979 derelict ship, although it is, in fact, much rounder in the outer shape (not so elongated), as can be sen from the comparison images in my first post.

This is the latest design update I was able to find, from the 9th of February:
LV-223 'Juggernaut' Alien ship?????(?????2): uhu02 ????????

It is exciting to follow the further design steps...

Sci-Fi fan
Bengt in Stockholm
Google Adsense