PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Star Wars Rebel Transport

Here we go :D first post with my current work-in-progress model: Star Wars movie-based Rebel transport Gallofree GR-85 :D
I used as inspiration the "real" Gallofree GR-75 medium transport seen both in "the empire strikes back" & "the return of the jedi" => http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/st..._Transport.jpg and decided to give it a bit more personality (read "weapons" ). the real ship should be 90 m long, whereas my version is a bit smaller but faster. I designed it with Rhinocheros, printed the basic structure and starded the engines... even with some naiveties due to my inexperience with paper :o

The work done so far:

details of the lower hull

the body, without luggage :D (you can see 1 of the naiveties, that yellow foam i used to support the lower plates, easy to deform: luckily it will be completely covered... I think next time I'll use paper ribs)

the luggage; as you can see, I use a mixed technique, specially with kitbashing fot exterior details (and I have A LOT of respect for you all that use only paper!)

main shield (I'm pretty happy with the 3D result, made with paper only)

rear shield

cannons

ok, now dry assemblage, just to let you have an idea of the final result (second pic with 1 of the 4 lower plates; in the gaps there will be attached tha packages, containers and whatever-you-want needed in a base on a distant planet )

hope you like
feel free to criticize and to ask, I'll appreciate it
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That's pretty impressive Filippo. I think you have captured the Gallofree very accurately. Thanks for sharing.

~ Douglas
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Cool model!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM

glad you found it interesting
as probabily all of us, I feel a bit disappointed for just a couple of things during the building process...very uncommon, right? eheheh!
joking apart, the underside of the main shiel is a mess, even crooked... but it's covered so I'm "pardoned" for this time :D
I've also some questions about the paper, but I'll reserve them for a specific topic. anyway, as you could see, it's very small but this decision has been taken in order to keep the correct scale with the main ship of this little task force I'm gonna build... perhaps (http://freemovement.files.wordpress....homer_left.jpg)
the main ship is the EF-76 Nebul-B => http://bragewj.com/starwars/Nebulon-B.jpg I just began it but I'm stuck by a long list of problems (I'll post some pix...)
Old 05-29-2009, 02:46 PM

little (really!) update sorry guys, very few time for this work

here you can see the completed sides of the inner hull and the main weapons assembled (I notice now that the the turret in the first pic seems a bit crooked... no no, just checked and no panic, it's only the photo :D)

here the paper containers first, than the plastic ones (not really sure if I'll use all of them... it depends on how much free space there will be under the shield)

and here... eheh, something I tried some time ago
it's a DX-9 ground troops transport (needs some last touches too)

here a comparison with the Gallofree, same scale (and you can also see the last finishes on the main hull, with the small bridge I decided to give it another shape compared to the classic one on the studio-scale model: never liked it, it's the worst part of that ship)

yes, rhino is very powerful...

Ok, to be honest I don't know when I'm gonna complete this model, because now the biggest part of the work will be painting all the separated components (specially all the boxes) and then assemble everything... most of my spare time is in the evening and painting after dinner is a bit of a problem (not enough light, not enough time...). all my hobbies rise in my bedroom and I don't think it's very healty to mess around with paintings just before go to sleep. I don't know, but I feel it will be easier to begin with another model than end this one ... ok, I'm joking :D I'll finish it as soon as I can

see you!
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM

eheheh something is moving here, in the end :D
I found some time to give this amount a paper a touch of primer and, I must say that, I'm very happy with the result, specially for the bottom part:

all the details are well emphasized with this basic grey and I'm looking forward to see how it will look like when weathered

maybe tomorrow I'll try something for all the containers and boxes.
the conclusion is coming (I hope so!)
Old 07-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Wow! I'm flabbergasted!

It's extremelly intriguing ship.

I want to build one too :D Will you publish it?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Are you sure that's paper??? Looks awesome!!

Am very interested in your build first then paint approach....
Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM

Yeah, the underside looks cool - and weathering, that's the fun part, I'm looking forward to see that Did you use a regular brush or some spray for painting?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Very cool.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense