PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
WALL ASSEMBLY

The walls are designed as three sections with tabs that lock into slots on the bottom. I cut those off because I was gluing them in place. Also, since I’d already had the trouble with the floor not coming together right I figured I’d have the same problem with the walls. Plus, those big sections were hard to handle. To avoid that, I cut each wall section apart and glued each wall individually to the bottom of the base. For the elevator walls, I used a craft stick to hold the wall base in place while the glue set. The area was too narrow to get my fingers in. (I’m only using one hand in the pic because I’m holding the camera) I let these dry overnight to make sure they were secure before I had to bend the walls in for final assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-049.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-050.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-052.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-053.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-054.jpg  

Old 12-30-2015, 09:35 AM

CEILING RING

The ceiling ring assembly mirrored the floor and walls. I cut off the tabs and glued everything into position. Where I could I ran a bead of glue along the fold where the ring meets the wall at the top to help hold things together. Since this model was not designed with laser-straight precision in mind, there are some small gaps and tight fits no matter how you build it. But with a little creative trimming and gluing you can minimize the rougher fitting parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-055.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-056.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-057.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 09:49 AM

COMPLETED BRIDGE

Welcome aboard the bridge of U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701. No bloody “A,” “B,” “C” or “D.” I think this is a really nice model that looks really good when complete, especially if you spend a little extra time on the parts and how they fit. A little trimming and edge coloring really cuts out that “ragged” look that these punch-out models have. And using glue avoided having tabs sticking awkwardly out of the walls. But, even if you built this just like the book says, you’d still have a nice model. It’s the only true model of the refit Enterprise bridge ever made, and I’m really glad it’s as good as it is. And if you wanted, you could modify it to be the ST: WOK or ST: TSFS bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-058.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-059.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-060.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-061.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM

STAR TREK FIGURES AND … THE FUTURE

The model comes with punch-out figures for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Decker and Ilia. They are made with “wings” on the side to stand the figures up. They don’t work very well and look really goofy. I modified mine by cutting off the wings (see Decker), cutting circles out of thick clear styrene from old packaging material, and gluing the figures in the center of the circles. This makes them look less clunky and the clear plastic is way less obvious. I made some additional figures using screen caps from the movie and the Internet (see probe Ilia, robed Spock, Rand and regular Ilia). I’ve got some more I’ll make later and add to the Gallery section.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-062.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-063.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-064.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-065.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-066.jpg  

Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-067.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-068.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 10:54 AM

THERE ARE ALWAYS POSSIBILITIES…OF A MEGO VARIETY

About a year ago, I managed to buy a set of the Mego 3.75” figures of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Decker and Ilia for cheap. I remember when these were new and stores couldn’t give them away. I understood that because they were boring and didn’t look that good. But now nostalgia has kicked in and since the price was right I got them for my display shelf. While thinking of ways to display these, I got the bridge book and thought it would look great next to these figures. But, there is a big size difference between the two and that got me to thinking how cool it would have been to have this model scaled up as a play set for these figures. If you know me, you know where this is going…so keep your hailing frequencies open.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-069.jpg   Star Trek: TMP Punch-Out Bridge Book-070.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Fantastic model, I'm a sucker for anything old and Trek....being kinda old myself.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
You really made the bridge come to life !
Great job
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
that looks great!!!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.29 MB
I'm new here, and I know this is an older post, but I just need to comment on how awesome this is. I'm a big fan of TMP stuff and this is just great!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgt01 View Post
If you know me, you know where this is going…
Hmm, where could that be; I just can't even begin to imagine ...
Ya know, that kit at the right price could be worth it just to use the control panels on a freelance project, they are pretty nice.

On that tab and slot thing, it is interesting how many manufactured products have slots which assume that their paper is only of one atom thickness.
Google Adsense

Tags
parts, bridge, model, tmp, book, paper, pieces, needed, original, feel, build, cut, star, didn’t, spine, time, era, trek, it’s, damaging, risk, care, pages, separate, stronger