PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Warhammer 40K Super Chimera

I have uploaded the plans for the Chimera in the Sci-Fi downloads. This is the tutorial or build thread for this item. I hope that you will enjoy building it as well as I did in designing it.

The first is the series of the plans. These are somewhat off so it is best to get the file from the download section.

Following are pics of the finished beta product and the semi finished final product.
Attached Thumbnails
Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-cadia-1.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-cadia-2.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-cadia-3.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-cadia-4.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-fuel-cans.jpg  

Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-miscellaneous.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-e.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-i.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-pic-01.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Neat! To my non-Warhammer eye, it is a cross between a sturmgeschűtz, a BTR-80, and a Korean War-era M-39 armored utility vehicle, and very nice, too!

Don
Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Neat! To my non-Warhammer eye, it is a cross between a sturmgeschűtz, a BTR-80, and a Korean War-era M-39 armored utility vehicle, and very nice, too!

Don
I took my idea from the german and soviet WW-II hunter killers. I am a little behind in designing add ons for my projects, but there is a hunter killerr version in the works for this baby. I have gather enough info and will be working on up-grades in the future.

Last edited by silveroxide; 06-14-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Eternal Member

Now to beging the Chimera build

Here is the start point. Print out the plans/schematics on heavy paper. In the U.S. I used 120 lbs. This is about the thickest that a printer can use. my laminations are also heavy poster board. You can also use cereal boxes, shoe box but not corrugated

1. Working on the Hull. I laminated the hull 4 sides. Allow space for the folding of the side walls.

2. This is a tabless kit, that means that you will have to cut strips to make tabs.

3. The troop compartment forward section was trimmed off. Again, laminate
Attached Thumbnails
Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-001.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-002.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-003.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-004.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-005.jpg  

Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-006.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-007.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-008.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-009.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-010.jpg  

Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Interesting build method. I would have thought you'd have lots of problems with white edges where you've had to cut into the heavy card to get it to bend. A problem I can see is that you are relying on the card to stay flat always - if you aren't building with good quality card there might be a problem with large areas dishing in or bulging out.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Eternal Member

I built this a game piece and for heavy usage, that is why it is sturdy enough to carry around. There will be white edges but that is taken care of at the end. I mixed the colors to match the body and then I did a wash over all for effect. If I want a different color than this, say grey, I would then spray my model with automotive grey primer and do the wash thing and detailing at the end. this model is 1/35 scale but for Warhammer table top gaming, you will have to reduce it in your printer properties to 80% or 85%.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Eternal Member

And so it begins

Continuing with the Hull. There is a slight angle in the drivers box area. When the front of the troop compartment was trimmed off it became a bonus in the build. in the Beta version there was a gap at this juncture. now that part of the bottom hull lapped over to the drivers box and blended in rather well.

Now attach the front of the troop compartment making sure the color part is forward, Laminated also to give rigidity and strength.

Laminate the rear ramp area to give it depth. Fold the hinges and support over on themselves to get a two sided look.

Roll the ramp hinge bar and place it at the bottom of the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-011.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-012.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-0013.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-014.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-015.jpg  

Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-016.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-017.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-018.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-019.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dang it. You zealot guys are going to get me back into minis. I just don't have time for all this hobby stuff!!

Looks great silveroxide!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
Dang it. You zealot guys are going to get me back into minis. I just don't have time for all this hobby stuff!!

Looks great silveroxide!

Just wait until the rest of the guys start posting in the download section, I hope there is enough bandwidth
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Eternal Member

continuation

This a continuation of the hull. Here is the construction of the front compartment. The hatches and front gun mount.

Here is technique for making a round concave hatch. I rub the end of a blunt instrument around the inside edges of the hatch. Place the hatch on a piece of felt or thin rubber pad and keep going around the edges until they start to curl up.

The frontal hatch is made of five pieces of laminated panels except the straps.

On the front cannon mount, cut the barrel hole all the way through to the hull itself.

See ya next posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-020.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-021.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-022.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-023.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-024.jpg  

Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-025.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-026.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-027.jpg   Warhammer 40K Super Chimera-028.jpg  
Google Adsense