PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-14-2016, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Star Wars UT-60D

With the new movie coming up I thought I give the UT-60D transport aka U-Wing a try.

As with all my models it will be in scale for 28-30mm miniatures, so it will NOT be a small model from what I have calculated. Might need to work on a 15mm version too

After a little research I have started working on getting the geometry right. This is a test rendering of my progress so far. The upper side is looking good now I think, still need to analyze the bottom part more.

Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2016, 03:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Looks good Chris! With the new movies out and coming out, it's nice to see some new models coming out as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
AWESOME!!! I was wondering WHEN somebody would tackle this one. The plane screams for an adequate paper model. Its geometry is fairly simplistic and there are lots of flat surfaces and edges.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 AM

The biggest problem is the lack of good reference pics. The top side is well enough documented I would say, but the bottom half leaves me guessing a bit. The best image I got from the bottom is one showing the Revell model kit.

Another challenge I want to try, is to make the wings moveable. I am not sure what the reasoning was in the design process (a ship that can land and take off without noticeable vertical propulsion system needs to move it's wings in space??) but it still looks cool, right?

So here I have tried to break down the parts needed to make this work in paper.

The blue is the core part, constraining the movement of the wings.
The wings (orange=closed, red=open) rotate around the white tube indicator.
The grey sandwich parts (top and bottom) are to hold the whole structure together.

The whole cockpit structure would then go on top of that and the transport bay below.

So far the theory. A test will have to prove if it actually works in reality

Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 AM

Excellent! The wings are stuck between the engines; the rotation point should be exactly where you put it in your sketch.
Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM

I just got an idea. If you incorporate a gear-like mechansim you will be able to move both wings by only touching one. Please take a look at the picture. So if you rotate one wing the movement will be translated to the other one simultaneously and respectively. That would be cool. The Hasbro toy has this feature, BTW, so it can be implemented.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars UT-60D-u1.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Looks interesting. I know this mechanism from a F-15 model I have but I think the radius of the gear would have to be too large (it would show when wings are opened).

I just searched for a youtube video showcasing the Hasbro model and I think their mechanism is a connection to the middle switch moving the wings.

For now I will focus on just getting the wings to move at all I might work on the connected movement of the wings on a 2.0 version though.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:03 PM

Great to hear! The mechanism can be hidden inside by extending the gear part. It does not have to be round as seen in my sketch, it can be chopped off to fit like it was done on the amt Xizor's Virago model kit:

source: http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/...o-amt-ertl.jpg

Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papierschnitzel View Post
I just searched for a youtube video showcasing the Hasbro model and I think their mechanism is a connection to the middle switch moving the wings.
Oh, that's correct (I re-watched it; completely forgot about the lever).
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 AM

The gear extension looks very interesting. I would prefer this to the level approach.

Today I tried to tackle another challenge. At least it is for a buildings builder like me : The engines!

This is my first and very rough try, just to see the overall size and proportions. The glue seams did not work as well as I hoped but still I like the look and feel of this piece on my table.

During the build I got a lot of ideas on how to improve the build. Basically it involves a complet redesign of the internal structure but it should be easier and more precise to assemble and a lot sturdier!

Google Adsense

Tags
star wars ut-60d u-wing