PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
A white Enterprise would not have photographed well.
They knew that a gray model would look "white" on tape.
Thanks for the explanation.

So in reality it was grey, but subjectively the brain transforms that into "white".

It's been a long time since I use color theory for anything.
I tend to forget those tricks.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
If you don't want to or can't follow the facebook link . . .
https://vimeo.com/176999007
Old 08-04-2016, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Interesting to see a referral to faceplant, it took me a few seconds to realise what was meant. I have another code name for it but perhaps stick to the one that can be put in a public place.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 267.07 MB
This video is a tribute to the ship that took us to "walk arround" across the galaxy . . .
Old 08-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I liked the video as well. Some of the people in it are my colleagues, and some are industry experts that volunteered to do the detailing and weathering (I don't have permission to mention names, or I'd give everyone proper credit). The guy you see first, doing the color matching for the base color, is a phenomenally skilled color matcher, and I know he sweated the details on that project to get the color spot-on. We call the color "production gray-green" and it does have a distinctly greenish tint to the gray. He matched to samples of the original paint that had been covered by other parts, so it had not faded from light exposure. Without getting color cards, I can't say whether CultTVman's article (as cited above) is accurate or not.

Amusing story: when the industry experts got into town, they went shopping to buy model paints. We sent them to the nearest plastic model store and they asked for all the paint in certain colors. ALL of it -- everything on the shelves, and then they asked the owner for everything in the stockroom. They ended up going to several local hobby shops, and the shops were very happy afterwards. Nice way to support local small business!

I got to see the completed model just before it went on display. It was in a darkened room with black backdrops for still and video photography. With all the lights operating, it looked absolutely AMAZING! I wish it could be displayed that way in the museum downtown, but nobody would be able to see the details, so I suppose the way it is exhibited is for the best. They do run the lights several times a day for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks for the shout-out, Airdave!
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
If you have Smithsonian Channel you might want to check this out.
Building Star Trek | Smithsonian Channel
Wayne
Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Very nice:

Question: At 2:01, there is a nice view of the (very large) decal sheet. Some of the graphics appear to have been printed backwards (mirror image). What was the reason for this?

Also, at 3:53, the clear film around the letters is painfully visible. Was the model clear-coated when all work was done to hide the film? (Curious as to why masks weren't cut and the lettering simply painted on. A friend and I have been experimenting with masking/painting the lettering on O scale (1:48) diesels, and the results have been fantastic so far.)

Great to see the old gal dressed to the nines again! Might have to plan a stop to the Smithsonian next time I'm out that way.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I can answer the first question. Because the ship was only filmed from the right side (the wires exited on the left side) there were times when they wanted to show the ship going the other direction. They could apply the mirror image decals and then flip the film.
Wayne
Old 08-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
I can answer the first question. Because the ship was only filmed from the right side (the wires exited on the left side) there were times when they wanted to show the ship going the other direction. They could apply the mirror image decals and then flip the film.
Wayne
Except...

1) This is not a shooting model, it had been modeled complete on both sides.

2) Both sides have lettering that reads correctly (nothing reversed or mirror-image). The right side is shown in the beauty shots at the beginning of the film and at the end (in the display case), the left side shows up at 4:45.

3) The lettering that shows up reversed at 2:01 is the large registry number that would be on the top of the saucer, as well as the "U.S.S. ENTERPRISE" name.

4) Since this is not a shooting model, why the need for reverse film lettering?

Is it possible the decals were prepared from original artwork for the filming version? My other thought was the the decals were reversed so they could be applied decal film to model, paper on top (allows the decal to be placed EXACTLY where needed, the backing is wetted and lifted away), except the lettering is shown being applied the traditional way (slide off paper and nudge into place).
Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The Smithsonian model is a shooting/on-screen model.
There is only one large model.

The left side of the model was not complete.
(I know this and I've seen it in person)
It had holes and wires coming out.
It had mounting points for support.
Trim and detail pieces were actually different or non-existent on the left side (as compared to the right).

The Smithsonian has finished the left side to match the right (for display purposes).

I'm not familiar with the decals being talked about...I haven't watched the video posted earlier
so I can't comment on those.
I'm not aware that the decals were changed on the model for shooting reverse (in 1966)
I've never heard of that, but I'm no expert on the TV show history.
(I doubt you would have been able to see it on TV anyway (even if the letters were reversed)!
Google Adsense