PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Mos Eisley Cantina

Between work and real life, creatively I was about as low on creative juices as one could get by the end of July. So I started building some little models that I'd been meaning to do for a while. Started with a mod of Chris Row's old Humvee look-alike (Genet Models), then Dave's Captain Nemo car, and then the Landspeeder.

The annual Papercuts Awards (Papercuts 2016-Final Cut | Cardboard Warriors forum) are during the month of August, so I enlarged the Speeder by 20% to fit in with 30mm figures and added some figures from mrentertainment, www.cardboard-warriors.proboards.com/thread/7068/star-wars-2d-figures, and then some of the Xbox Kinect buildings, www.cardboard-warriors.proboards.com/thread/5781/kinect-star-wars-eisley-buildings

And the project took off from there...

MomirFarooq has some ground tiles that lock together that I modified, and I modified some of the Ghost of Man buildings from the Arid City set

While working on these, Chris from Papierschnitzel designed the Lars Homestead, which I thought of using, but when you do an internet search for Mos Eisley buildings, most of what comes up is the cantina and the actual building that Lucas modified

Oh, yeah, here's the homestead
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 PM

When I started posting a bunch of screenshots and photos of the cantina, someone had the bright idea to suggest that I give it a shot. And Chris asked if there was anything he could do to help, so I asked if he could do the dome, but without the arches. And he did!

I had realized that the building could be broken down into separate buildings held together with bobby pins and paperclips. I did a flat roof 4X6 inch building, 2 1/2 inches tall and one that was 2 1/2 inches tall that I put a double arched roof overlay onto

Next iteration was modifying the dome to have that tall wall on one side and making the one building taller

Looking at many shots of the real building and the screenshots, it became apparent that Lucas built a façade, to have room for it, the 4X6 building needed to be 5X6. In the original movie there was a slightly shorter wall that splits the terrace. This was replaced by a building extension in the remake (probably CGI)

Getting there.

If you watch the movie again, the are no direct views of the main entrance. Knowing that it is a façade, and seeing the geometry of the real building, there's good reason. You go under the arch and through the inset door, and there might be 3 feet before you hit the real building's wall.

Using this screenshot and doing rough measurements in Gimp, I worked out an approximation of what the front would look like

And I needed to get the Dewback, Jerba and the domed surveillance module built, along with the little black and white arch thingy on the roof
Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 PM

The first dome thing was too small, but the second was much more the thing

Did some additional figures, and put some of the other buildings in to keep from seeing too much off the ground tiles, and this is what I ended up with for the Papercuts contest

This is the abbreviated version of this little journey, to see the whole thing as it developed, you can go to Mos Eisley Project | Cardboard Warriors forum

And if your already a member there, I could use all the votes I can get. No, seriously vote your conscience. I'm not even planning on voting this year. At least not in this category
Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
That looks kool! Really looks fantastic!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Looks like we have a case of 'one thing leads to another'. Pretty cool sorting things out to their component shapes.
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
Looks like the sensor on your creativity gauge needs to be calibrated......you had more creativity in your tank than you thought!!! Very nice!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:29 PM

It went from dried-up to a slight drip to ooze to open-the-floodgates in short order.

I couldn't have done it without help from others. It's iconic, even though there aren't very many outdoor shots of it. There was a playset ages ago that looked nothing like the scene from the movie. The Lego cantina looks even less like the 'real' thing.

I like Sci Fi, architecture and history. I liked figuring out how Lucas laid the scenes out using an existing building. I felt like a Sci Fi/history/architecture detective working it out.

A sharp eye might notice a non-canon figure lurking in the background
Old 09-02-2016, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.18 GB
Looks great, and I love the way "Waldo" shows up.
Karl
Old 09-02-2016, 02:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Great work Vermin_King. Looks awesome. I know this "detective" feeling and I can say it can be very time consuming

Extensions for X-wing
Old 09-02-2016, 03:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
This IS the paper model we were looking for. Great work, great display.