PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
"The Autumn"

Last week I got to thinking, there was one star ship that I really loved, and no one has ever given it a shot! I'm still surprised there is no released, or even built model of it, even though it has so much popularity amongst the Sci-fi community.

Ever since I was...in the 3rd grade, I fell in love with the Pillar of Autumn's design. Sure you could call it blocky! But there's just something about it that lures me in. The aging Halcyon Cruiser which was replaced by the much larger and armed Marathon Cruiser will always be the number one star ship in my heart. The Autumn was first introduced in Halo: Combat Evolved, as the Autumn is first shown after it's escape from Reach. Definitely a sight to behold..

Before I get started on the armor and aviation kits I purchased, I think I'll be doing a quick design and build up of the Pillar of Autumn. I think I mentioned it before, my work with formers are horrid. From what I've seen, almost every model provided by GPM, Modelik, and Halinski require formers. I'll be practicing cutting them out via X-acto's and Snap-off blades.

After finishing the design of the hull of the Autumn, I decided to give it a little test, just to ensure the model's formers and huge plates of armor fit nicely. I finished the first bit of the formers, and tomorrow I'll get started on the second half. [ I need the formers because I'm planning for an exceptionally large model.]
Attached Thumbnails
"The Autumn"-100_3680.jpg   "The Autumn"-100_3683.jpg   "The Autumn"-poa.jpg  

Last edited by The Orange; 06-18-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add an image
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
My son would love a model of the Pillar of Autumn....he is pretty much addicted to Halo.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Okay, I admit I approached this model the wrong way. I'm going to re-do the formers, and set a scale to the Autumn, probably 1:2500, or something above it.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Orange

I'm pretty far from qualified to give any advice about building, or designing for that matter, however a technique I use may save you a bit of trouble with the formers ( I'm terrible at making and covering them in the traditional way) * I guess this really depends if your designing just for yourself, or to release as a kit etc.

Probably sounds dumb, but I approach the design from outside ~ in, as apposed to the inside ~ out.. The outside of the model is all that really counts right. If you find it difficult to get nice joins on the surface of your model, the formers are working against you. So.. as a general rule of thumb, any former I design has to fit INTO the model. That is to say, after folding / gluing and almost closing a form/ section, the former should then slide / fit INTO the part which is then sealed up / closed.

Obviously not appropriate for every form/shape, although it helps novice builders achieve a nicer finish, helps avoid gaps and also aids in achieving difficult shapes ~ the former inserts and forces the card into the desired shape etc..

Its a bit fringe, just thought I'd mention it as food for thought, If not the Autumn, it may be of use to you somewhere else.

Looks like a great subject to model, you could really go to town by adding lots of surface plating. What method are you using to design her.? 3D model and unfolding in Pepakura ? CAD drawings? by hand ?

cheers mate
Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearz View Post
Hi Orange

I'm pretty far from qualified to give any advice about building, or designing for that matter, however a technique I use may save you a bit of trouble with the formers ( I'm terrible at making and covering them in the traditional way) * I guess this really depends if your designing just for yourself, or to release as a kit etc.

Probably sounds dumb, but I approach the design from outside ~ in, as apposed to the inside ~ out.. The outside of the model is all that really counts right. If you find it difficult to get nice joins on the surface of your model, the formers are working against you. So.. as a general rule of thumb, any former I design has to fit INTO the model. That is to say, after folding / gluing and almost closing a form/ section, the former should then slide / fit INTO the part which is then sealed up / closed.

Obviously not appropriate for every form/shape, although it helps novice builders achieve a nicer finish, helps avoid gaps and also aids in achieving difficult shapes ~ the former inserts and forces the card into the desired shape etc..

Its a bit fringe, just thought I'd mention it as food for thought, If not the Autumn, it may be of use to you somewhere else.

Looks like a great subject to model, you could really go to town by adding lots of surface plating. What method are you using to design her.? 3D model and unfolding in Pepakura ? CAD drawings? by hand ?

cheers mate
Actually, that's how I work also. I designed the formers like that, *Shown in the first post* And it worked for a bit until I noticed to get a good internal structure, I need to have all the formers connecting to each other.
In fact, I was going to avoid the formers.

I'm using a 3D model and unfolding.

Thanks for the advice
Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM

I have no advice, only encouragement! I love to see anyone trying new designs no matter what genre.

I still design in 2D with Paint Shop Pro, only thing stopping me from 3D modeling will be the learning curve. (can one teach an old dog new tricks???).

Best of luck on this!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks Phil From experience, Meta is pretty easy to learn! (Or maybe it's just that everyone else who uses it knows how to design models better than me :P)

I have the ribbing on the "Main hold" nearly complete, I just have to add some former slits near the lifeboat compartments. Then maybe tomorrow I can finally start building.
For those who have played the game, this is the section of the ship where you have to rendezvous to the remaining lifeboat to escape the Autumn's crash landing on Halo.

Or to be more technical, it's where most of the "honey comb" superstructure is. The back end of the MAC gun [No, not the part where the round gets fired, that's at the front of the ship.] and Linear Accelerator run mostly through this bulked up section.

How I look at the Autumn, is in 5 sections. Right now, I'm doing the 4th section, because the formers from there will lead into the 3rd-1st. The 5th section will have formers, just not connected to 1-4.
Attached Thumbnails
"The Autumn"-poa-rib-1.jpg   "The Autumn"-poa-rib-2.jpg   "The Autumn"-poa-rib-3.jpg   "The Autumn"-section.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:57 PM

No progress worth reporting, but I guess I will anyways.

I finished the first part of the formers this morning, I had to adjust some pieces to fit.

Forgive the lighting, it's nearly midnight, and my newly found insomnia is keeping me up. I started on the first former, and I took a photo of it with the 5 cm scale cube, and a 12 inch ( 30 cm for all you other people) ruler. The former is massive, and I might laminate it to make it 3mm. Now I just need to make 8 more of them :o
Attached Thumbnails
"The Autumn"-formers-f.jpg   "The Autumn"-100_3690.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 AM

Haha..Oh well..never could keep my mouth shut. What was that they say about assuming....

Last edited by Gearz; 06-28-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.95 MB
Orange, the progress is looking good! Keep up the work on this ship, I would love to build it when your done! One reason is my girl-friends name is Autumn, I told it I would build it for her. Yes, when I've played Halo, there are many "Pillar of Autumn" jokes between the two of us!
Google Adsense