PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-29-2016, 01:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Lars homestead

When Vermin_King created his Mos Eisley diorama, I wanted to see if I was able to create the Lars homestead (aka Luke Skywalker's house on the desert planet).

The biggest challenge both in geometry and texturing was the dome. Until now I have been happily doing flat walls, slanted roofs and maybe a one directional curved surface like a cylinder column. I have built this BB-8 model some time ago but that was made by someone else, yet still a good way to get some experience with curved surfaces.

After a little research I started designing the model in Blender.

And a quick test rendering to see how it looks.

With the excellent paper model unfold and export tool I was able to quickly create this first test.

As you can see, it is a plain "outside surface" version. For this I just underglued the dome tabs to make it work.

I build my models usually in the right scale to match with these miniature figures. So when I put one next to the building, I wanted to make the roof come off so you can do, well whatever you or Gandalf would do, INSIDE the building

to be continued ...
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2016, 01:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Fascinating. Do you mean that there's an actual plan interior for the Lars homestead or just that the roof will come off to show a plain interior?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 AM

Oh there are interior plans. Like there are plans for the engine details of an Imperial Star Destroyer.

I found this on the Star Wars wiki site for the homestead. It's lovely, but not really usable for me. It seems the build I am trying to do is just an entrance to the whole structure. Have to come up with my own version I guess :-)
Old 09-30-2016, 12:05 AM

The next step was to make the walls and dome separate. A first try went like this.

The whole wall segment was built in one which made it difficult for adaptations. I wanted to split it into modules that could be combined in different ways. Maybe you just want one door/arch or four. Also I had a couple of tries on how to best arrange the glue flaps and assemble the walls as they form a closed box which can always be a problem when trying to glue the last flap. In the end I came up with this solution.

I separated the arch/door part and the wall part.

These are glued together in the way you like ...

... finally forming the desired shape. The glueing is done by pressing the two modules together. I would rather have a way that you could slide them into position vertically (from above) but have not found a good way yet. Still the current solution works fine.

Optimizing the door arch took the most iterations but I think I found a way that is most easily glued and goes together quite well.

BTW the left over cut parts are what here in Vienna we call "Papierschnitzel"

After a small scaling issue with the blender paper model exporter (it sometimes reduces scale without telling when parts almost fit the page) ...

... I was able to test build a proper dome.

It is made out of two halves now that fit onto a single page without problems. The outer surface forms the "fingers" you see here. The go from the top/center downward. They are glued into position by the inner structure which is made out of "horizontal" cut layers. If not cut correctly it looks like this

I thought the registration marks of the autocutter would prevent this, but somehow I managed to get this result!

Anyway, the dome when take out of the walls module looks like this. I made it stand on it's own legs and filled the arch cuts so there will be no gaps when inserted into position.

Due to the double layered glueing the dome is very stable, yet flexible enough so you can push it into the walls module comfortably.

Next step is the texturing.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Just FYI, the dome isn't that big:

Lars homestead-2f1b7ae500000578-3348004-and_here_is_luke_skywalker_pictured_with_his_uncle_coming_out_of-m-39_1.jpg

There's a set of steps going down just outside the door, so the arches are only the top half of the doorway

Lars homestead-1baf4a0b951610b586dec4131bbe4df2.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I admit I am not going for 100% accurate replica here. I needed to take some creative liberties to adjust for my limitations.

As I cannot go into the ground I raised the floor level of the building. Also the dome esp on some pics I found looks more egg shaped. I just went with a perfect sphere for this.

I do hope that the building still looks recognizable and will be fun to build and/or play with.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:39 AM

It looks awesome. Sometimes I wish I had the skills to design buildings.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:27 AM

You are very kind :-)

One of the reasons why I wanted to try a dome was, that I could get a little closer in skills to the guys doing Planes and Helicopters ... like you!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM

It's way harder doing a building than planes. Planes are just tubes with wings and engines. Buildings have shapes.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
Looks great! You should also include a cup of blue milk!
Support us on Patreon
Google Adsense