PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-14-2016, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Fans of Canadian rock band Rush will know the soaceship name 'Rocinante'.
Glad to find another Rush fan in the forum! Cygnus X-1 is the song referred to.

Yale, could it be that the Rocinante from the Expanse is as ungainly, angular and awkward as Don Quixote's most excellent horse, hence the name?

Phil
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 267.07 MB
Hi, there.

After to see this thread I search for this serie and I found it here in Brazil by Netflix, only the first season. The photografy and special efects are so better than Babilon 5, for exemple.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
No familiarity at all with this SciFi series. But if I remember correctly, Rocinante was the horse of Don Quixote. Can anybody explain the connection?
Several days back I went looking - I haven't watched the show and woouldn't know from it -for whatever Wikipedia is worth,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocinante
Quote:
Rocín in Spanish means a work horse or low-quality horse, but can also mean an illiterate or rough man. There are similar words in French (roussin; rosse), Portuguese (rocim), and Italian (ronzino). The etymology is uncertain.
The name is a complex pun. In Spanish, ante has several meanings and can function as a standalone word as well as a suffix. One meaning is "before" or "previously". Another is "in front of". As a suffix, -ante in Spanish is adverbial; rocinante refers to functioning as, or being, a rocín. "Rocinante", then, follows Cervantes' pattern using ambiguous, multivalent words, which is common throughout the novel.[citation needed]
Rocinante's name, then, signifies his change in status from the "old nag" of before to the "foremost" steed.[1] As Cervantes describes Don Quixote's choice of name: nombre a su parecer alto, sonoro y significativo de lo que había sido cuando fue rocín, antes de lo que ahora era, que era antes y primero de todos los rocines del mundo[3]—"a name, to his thinking, lofty, sonorous, and significant of his condition as a hack before he became what he now was, the first and foremost of all the hacks in the world".[4]
In chapter 1, Cervantes describes Don Quixote's careful naming of his steed:
Four days were spent in thinking what name to give him, because (as he said to himself) it was not right that a horse belonging to a knight so famous, and one with such merits of his own, should be without some distinctive name, and he strove to adapt it so as to indicate what he had been before belonging to a knight-errant, and what he then was."[4]
Old 01-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
No familiarity at all with this SciFi series. But if I remember correctly, Rocinante was the horse of Don Quixote. Can anybody explain the connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Several days back I went looking - I haven't watched the show and woouldn't know from it -for whatever Wikipedia is worth,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocinante
I watched recently the two seasons. Very good series.

Turns out Holden (the protagonist) liked to read real (printed) books when he was younger, and apparently one of them was "Don Quixote".

When the crew of the ship had to choose a name for her, Holden and another crew member agreed on the name, Holden because it was the name of the famous workhorse, and (quite oddly) the other man said it was the name of a girl he knew.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.01 GB
The significance is all Holden's; it's easier if one has read the books. :-)
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2019, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Right. Holden picked the name. IIRC, Miller looked it up and found that it meant "No longer a workhorse". It's really funny once the satire is understood.