PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-07-2017, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
I wrote an essay on psychedelic Sci Fi movies for Clarkesworld last spring. Ironically, I identified Amicus' first Dr. Who movie as the first film that really brought the wild, psychedelic colors into SF movies. Their version of Skaro featured bold, primary color daleks, and bright color coded pipes everywhere (now we know where they got the idea for the Pompideu center, right?) When you see the film, you have to remember that the Daleks were still in B&W on TV at the time, and would remain grey for years in color episodes, except for a few leaders.

So maybe they were hitting a few tabs. Not much else to do there except scoot about the corridors waving your arms up and down.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
I have been working on a 1:6 scale 2003 NSD Dalek for quite some time. Personal projects are still packed away in boxes after the recent move to Iowa last fall. Still working on putting the house together before I can play again :(

Hope to resume soon, still need to build what I have to check out the pieces so far. Not looking forward to all these globes!

Best Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know of a good Dalek model?-dalek-model.jpg   Does anyone know of a good Dalek model?-dalek-model-pattern.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
that's a great model Ron !
Old 01-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Sweet!

I'm officially drooling.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Whoa!

Are those the hemispheres (propulsion units?) the official plans always showed on the bottom????

Now that is one serious Dalek model.
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

The hemispheres on the bottom are not on the official Dalek plans that I have from the Dalek modellers group, but I ran across some reference material that showed these. Not sure if it was fan art or concept art, etc. That's what I get for not documenting where I collect material from (better that castors I guess!). In fairness to myself, I've been collecting reference material and working on this for many years. I'm basing my model pattern from several Sketchup models I have studied.

The 1:6 scale I have designed this will allow it to be used with the standard size Barbie dolls and vintage G.I. Joes.

I hope that when I am able to release this model, it won't be too difficult to build although I feel that the globes will cause most who start it to become discouraged by the number you have to build. I originally decided to design this at the request of a friend in the UK that used to work with to make and send to him. I will release two variants, an uncolored one to be printed onto pre-colored cardstock (this is going to be the one I give my friend), and a colored one for white cardstock. Of course one could always add their own textures or color after printing the uncolored one.

Last edited by Ron Caudillo; 01-08-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I think it would be best to use matching acrylic half spheres and paint them. That would 1) save you much work and 2) look more pleasing.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 AM

I"ve seen the propulsors somewhere, but couldn't tell you where either! There's a Who "technical manual" (such as it is) from the late Tom Baker era, and I think it might have included them.

However, I think the best option for a model would be to provided the bumps for those who wanted to construct them, and details for what you'd need to replace them with a pre-made acrylic part - and also color and shade the "holes" for the bumps so they could be left off altogether (perhaps provide a "flat" version on a separate sheet to be glued on).

Just a thought, but that would work for several levels of modelers.

Lol, I have to admit I hate painting, never was much good at it, so pre-printed is good for some of us lazy modelers who are willing to work hard.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 AM

I originally designed this model due to the lack of an accurate one being available, but also realized the challenges it would incur because of the globes. I know there are flat versions available but would not be opposed to offering this as well; it does not really add time or complexity to the design process.

Builders would be free to either construct the globes or use their resources and imagination to simplify/enhance the building process. Pre-shading is not a problem either. I like the idea to appeal to as many builders and skill levels as possible; it only helps to further popularize our wonderful hobby. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:52 AM

I wonder if you can find Unit fatigues for the old skool GI Joe?
Google Adsense

Tags
dalek, dr. who