PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I thought, oiginally, the Daleks used a "flying" platform.
I don't think they could levitate themselves.
But in the post 2005 series, the Daleks were given the ability of levitation
and even atmospheric flight.
I'm no Dr Who expert, but I think this is an idea of the newer series creators?

In screengrabs I see four smaller discs around a larger central disc.
Whether these are domes or lights or engine nozzles...?
In fan-art, it is shown as four plus four discs around a larger central disc.
(4 larger, 4 small, equally spaced and alternatively positioned)

Some scenes from post 2005 episodes.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
There are a few renders of the bottom of the Daleks around, they appear to be fan art, but I like the concepts they show.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know of a good Dalek model?-doomsday_012.jpeg   Does anyone know of a good Dalek model?-orth-20hybrid-20soldier-20top-20and-20bottom-201440x900.jpg   Does anyone know of a good Dalek model?-billyhome001.jpg   Does anyone know of a good Dalek model?-doomsday_071.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
In the William Hartnell years Daleks needed to move around on a metal floor (magnets?) the Doctor commented on a magnetic grid of some kind (it's been a long while since I've seen those episodes). When Dr. Who was revived, the Christopher Eccleston Dr. and Rose were running from a Dalek and tried to escape up a flight of stairs. The Dr. had a moment to trash talk the Dalek (what cha' going to do now eh?). The Dalek paused and said "levitate" in that grating voice of theirs, and flew up the stairwell.
That same episode was the first time the torso area of a Dalek had ever moved independently of the body.

I'm going back to my nerd cave now...
Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Definitely no evidence of underside "propulsors" or bubble lights!
LOL
Just some swivel Casters.

and, in a miniature Universe...

Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
as a whovian sorta versed in dalek lore, the 1st daleks on skaro ( home planet) used the same principle as electric bumper cars, sort of a static contact on metal floors. they later evolved and acquired the ability to move independent of metal floors. in fact they actually could submerge and were seen emerging from the thames river in dalek invasion of earth. they were not noted to fly or levitate until the eccleston series (9th doctor). after which they can fly, travel as self supporting space shuttles and self destruct, via the bumps on the lower skirts.
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2017, 04:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
In the Dalek invasion of Earth episode (their second appearance), the Daleks actually have a little dish antenna mounted on the back, supposedly to receive broadcast power (who knew Daleks had a Tesla, right?). Later they added the set of plates around the "shoulder" area, supposedly as solar panels, although they are often called armor plates in some plans.

However, the Christopher Eccleston series was not the first with flying Daleks: in the Sylvester McCoy ep. Reminiscence of the Daleks (come one, it's one of his best, surely one of you saw it!) there are two distinct sets of Daleks, one stock, the other a new technology edition re-engineered by Davros. These have a sort of Detroit show car quality about them - they are cleaner, all white, and have quite different lights (sort of a sleek, streamlined teardrop car fender light. I suspect some Brit car fiend could probably identify which make they borrowed them from) and in one of the cliffhangers, one of them levitates right up a set of stairs! The daleks in the them are actually more evolved as well, with added bits.

If you look quick at the shot from The Space Museum above, you'll see that there are 4 castors in the corners and a big hole in the center. In other words, that's an actual Dalek "suit" and not just a prop. That's supposed to be the Frankenstein monster trashing it, btw, one of the animatronic exhibits in the museum.

But I know I've seen propulsor spheres on Dalek plans pre-Eccleston, with the idea that they sort of levitated just off the floor. Other versions, though, showed a big ball in the center they rolled on (I remember seeing a cutaway illustration like this), with no other "castors". Which, yes, fits the static power version.

That shot from the Dalek invasion of earth serials was one of the best Dalek cliffhangers EVER. very well done - and on location. bet it warped the heck out of the plywood, however.

Turns out the ugly design of the dalek I linked to above is actually the Matt Smith version (shudder). Hellsword has a better version (still ugly):

Hellsword Papercraft: Doctor Who Dalek Papercraft

however, the current Dr. Who has gone a little crazy with the Daleks, IMHO. They used to be formidable, but two units of UNIT Troops could hold one off with rifles. Now one Daleck can take out an army. Boooo-Ring.

The cybermen have become equally invincible and equally dull. Is it just that we have so little imagination that if something isn't an instant threat we can't grasp it anymore?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:37 AM

Cool Dalek model, Dave!!!

What is that, about 2 1/2 inches tall?

You know, though, that we'll just expect a UNIT Land Rover, a Whomobile and Bessie now?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Did some exploring in the Hellsworld Papercraft site. There are some stylized eggs of the Doctor and a Dalek with some extra textures you can apply to get different looks.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Hellsword has a lot of great Dr. Who stuff, including that Dalek mutant and a full scale cyberman mask (from the reboot series, of course).

Re: Airdave's comment about flying platforms: he's right about that, they did show Dalek flying platforms in some of the comic books. Here's a link:

Hoverbout | Tardis | Fandom powered by Wikia

Here's one of the imperial daleks levitating from Reminiscence:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1

"Real Daleks don't climb stairs; they level the building."
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
You could also use the small rubber/plastic protective "Bumps" used in cabinets, they come in multiples on a paper strip, self adhesive and cheap as chips. Just a thought.
Google Adsense

Tags
dalek, dr. who