PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Hey, no problem. I think we better agree to disagree here. I'm inclined as an engineering student to analyze Treknology from an purely engineering POV, and you obviously prefer the aesthetic approach mixed with science. I respect your opinion on this, and hey, Trek is still one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever written! You haven't destroyed my childhood, so I won't have to form a picket line outside your house. :D

By the by, I loved the new Trek movie for the profound lack of technobabble(yes, even the scientific cringe moment when they introduced Red Matter). They deliberately tried to emulate the TOS feel, which is to let the audience's imagination make up the technical BS. And since I am a real technophile I have this tendency to try to make sense of the Trek world technically(not that I don't enjoy Spock and McCoy verbally sparring), so when something comes along that doesn't make sense to me, I'll try to set it straight. Its no slieght on the author, just the idea bothers me. I understand its no cop-out.

Thats also why I like Star Wars' technical authors; they're real scientists and engineers who apply real scientific knowledge to their writings, such as Dr. Curtis Saxton, who has a Ph. D. in engineering IIRC. When I read his work, such as the ICS, nothing really stands out as a blatant error.

Now, take the TNG Tech Manual. Tell me how you can get a 6m hollow sphere for the impulse engine reactors when the walls are 685 cm thick. I know Rick Sternbach, and I know he's not a technical so much as an art guy, so I'm willing to forgive that grievance.

There, I said my peace. You want the soap box back?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
About 'Grind Trek'...

Millenniumfalsehood;"There, I said my peace. You want the soap box back? "

There's another area we'd have to agree to disagree. Its too easy for me to prop up my soap box, when the newest movie is mentioned. It represents the mirror of everything I've pointed out I value.

I'll have to leave it there or risk a bad case of finger-strain. I could really go on!

My loathing for that abortive doppleganger promotes a rant to rival Dennis Miller!!!!!

The DC
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Dennis Miller, eh? Okay then, I'll leave it alone!