PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Star Wars Vaporator

I wanted to make an easier version of Michael Knoblochs Vaporator (see here Star Wars- Lars Homestaed - Bauberichte Spezielle Interessen - Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen)for some time and finally found the time to start working on this!

Started designing yesterday and got this far:

I want to use a toothpick for the top pole as it will be very thin in paper. Also I will incorporate some center pole structure so that the tower will not be as wobbley as this one
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Ohh, this looks very good!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Am I loving this. Great move, looking forward to this one and the rest of this fantastic model. Great move. Thank you very much. May I ask did you find the old just a bit to hard to build or was it me? Thanks again. Great news. wc
Old 02-22-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
... May I ask did you find the old just a bit to hard to build or was it me? ...
I took me quite a while to decipher all the parts and because I knew I would make my own version one day, I never bothered to build that version.

It's looks like a great model but as there are no glue tabs you need to imagine all of that, which makes it harder to build.

Still I am glad when others join in and contribute their designs. That's what I love about the paper crafting community
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 AM

I made the adjustments from the first build and started the second prototype build.

I first added a center spine column for vertical alignment.

With it the core tower comes together nicely.

Adding all the small details first (a step that could be omitted if too complicated)

And finally adding the three external poles, whatever they are :-)

Need to find my white paint for the toothpick part and then I am off to texturing!
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Better and better. I'm looking even more so to seeing it when it's completed not to mention D/Ling it. I'm still working on the first model one trying to understaan it. I think all I needed was to know where all the parts go but some are so small and with my shaking fingers it's not easy. Brilliant work on this new one and I love the improvements. I have a lady friend(sons fiancé)in mind for this model. She he the biggest Star Wars freak other then me I know of. Do you think it would be alright with you if I paint the tooth pick to match the gray of the rest of the model? Thank you so very much for the sneak preview. Beautiful work. wc
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Better and better. I'm looking even more so to seeing it when it's completed not to mention D/Ling it. I'm still working on the first model one trying to understaan it. I think all I needed was to know where all the parts go but some are so small and with my shaking fingers it's not easy. Brilliant work on this new one and I love the improvements. I have a lady friend(sons fiancé)in mind for this model. She he the biggest Star Wars freak other then me I know of. Do you think it would be alright with you if I paint the tooth pick to match the gray of the rest of the model? Thank you so very much for the sneak preview. Beautiful work. wc
Yes of course, do paint the toothpick. I want to add some color layers, so you'll have a white, grey or sand grey version. I wanted to paint it but I couldn't find the paint. The final version will be painted I guess one could do that part also with paper but for me it's just too thin to do that.

For the small parts I could only manage with the help of my girlfriends tweezers. My big fingers (in Austria we call them "Würstelfinger" - sausage fingers ) also were too big for the small detail parts.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Looks cool at this time!
But I can't find a big difference to mine...
It's not sooo much easier....
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars Vaporator-dsc06757.jpg   Star Wars Vaporator-dscf3829.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk310149 View Post
Looks cool at this time!
But I can't find a big difference to mine...
It's not sooo much easier....
Thanks Michael The "easier" is basically referring to added glue tabs and and instructions file. Except for that it is more or less a copy of your great design work.

I am adding textures now and hoping that with them, even if you don't add all the small details it will still look OK. If it works it would be much easier to build. But of course not look as cool as yours!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM

Tried out the textures. I messed a couple of things up but it's heading in the right direction.

I found the missing paint and made the toothpick white!

Also I did not add the small details as I wanted to see how it looks without (in case someone wants to add a couple of these to his gaming table or diorama and is not in the mood to fiddle). Will add them tomorrow.

Google Adsense

Tags
star wars, vaporator