PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
Downloaded this today, looks like a really nice model.
Think i will enlarge to A3 and print most pages twice to allow for extra panel details.
Also could Uhu02s cockpit be reduced to fit?
RH
Uhu02 cockpit: I have no idea but it sounds like a great idea! I just think even at that scale one would have to make sure the window frame are made strong enough. Probably make them at least 1mm thick.
Extra paneling: Excellent! I also plan to do this one day

The saga continues ... the bottom dish went together straightforward. The gluing to the core was a bit of a challenge. The biggest problem was the the outer circular flaps did not want to stay put and always turned back out flat again, these stubborn things!

I first glued only the top center circle (or rather octagon) an and then went around in circle, quarter by quarter. I lifter one flap, applied glue to the bottom flaps and the core segments (but not the outside circle flaps). Then I pressed the segment down with one hand. With the other I put glue on a strip of cardboard and smeared that on the circle flaps and then pushed these in with a toothpick. I would have loved to have a third arm here and that is why I could not take pictures. All arms in use!

So in the end, this is my result.

There only issue I found is at this connection where the dish meet the wall of the escape pod walls. For the next time I make some glue flaps from the wall toward the dish and mark it gray to close the gaps.

Another idea I had was to put a couple of stripes under narrow section of the circular flaps and glue them into the right (slightly slanted upward) position so I don't have to do crazy arm yoga to make it all work.

But as it was the bottom half I was not too worried. I hope I can make this better for the top half.

Just look at the detail in the stern section! With a little thicker paper the double up details would pop out even more.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent work so far! Really looks like the Porkburger....

If built as-is, what scale is it?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Not sure about the scale but the length is around 38cm/15in.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:03 AM

Continuing with the top dish. Ran into some small problems with warping but I guess it was my fault because my change in sequence of gluing parts.

I first added the glue flaps (on the sides of the escape pod walls) to cover any gaps that would happen like they did on the bottom side.

Now this was the culprit for all my problems. Because of the small extension over the bottom half, the cockpit arm should not go on before the top and bottom hull dish are assembled onto the core as I did!

Because of this I had to start the gluing of the top half on the side of the cockpit arm and was not able to start with the top octagon and in sequence failed to align it properly. It was too much towards the cockpit arm side. This led to this warping. Small but noticeable.

Luckily it was not that bad. Here you don't really see it (unless you know what you are looking for).

Not much left!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.12 MB
Very cool model.
Google Adsense
Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papierschnitzel View Post
Not sure about the scale but the length is around 38cm/15in.
According to the dimensions given at Wikipedia (34.75m), this would give a scale of 1/91. to enlarge it to 1/72, set your printer to 127%. To reduce to 1/144, set your printer to 64%.

Oh, and great build thread btw, thoroughly enjoying it.

All the best and happy modelling.

Bernie
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
dam fine build well done
Old 09-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
dam fine build well done
thanks, but then again it's a dam fine model
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 PM

After completing these engine exhausts (at least that's what I call them :-) ) on the top side I started the completion of the bottom side...

The assembly of the bottom top cover went together very smoothly.

I just added some inside support in case too much pressure would be put on that area.

For the gun turret I wanted to add some support so I could mount it in hovering position. According to the instructions it should be glued with back and front to the main hull but I wanted to see if I could make it hover.

So first I made this little part stronger by filling it up with layers of paper, making it solid.

Also added these glue tabs for this little part.

For the gun tubes, instead of just using rolling them into the (emtpy) tubes, I wrapped them around toothpicks and cut to fit, to make them stronger. Then I completed the gun turret according to instruction with no problems.

As the gun turret would only be glued onto the hull at one little position I added this cut paper clip for support on the underside.

I then punched a whole into the right position in the hull assembly and glue the gun turret into position. After letting it dry very carefully and thoroughly ... IT WORKS! :-)

And now a couple of pics of the completed bottom side.

Now have to repeat this for the top side!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
A cool build just keeps getting better....
Google Adsense

Tags
millenium falcon, spaceship, star wars