PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Yet another Millenium Falcon....

It has been over a year and a half since I have built anything, so inspired by the builds of Shunichi Makino's Millennium Falcon, I decided to step back into the waters by building it. I figured it would be relatively easy.

Thanks to a well-designed kit, it was relatively easy. I shrunk the original model to 80 percent because I didn't want a big model and I also felt that with a bigger model, I'd be tempted to go whole-hog on detailing. I just wanted a quick build. My finished model worked out to 11.75 inches (about 33cm) long and using online references, I discovered my model is 1/97th scale.

I followed the clear instructions, but deviated in a couple of areas. Instead of using the supplied round "rectenna" dish -- knocked off by Lando when he flew through the Deathstar in the Battle of Endor -- I scratchbuilt the new, rectangular version and its support structure out of gray card. I used online references and guesstimated the size. (And in a bit of "Star Wars" trivia, I discovered the MF's new rectenna was scavenged from the CR90 corvette, otherwise known as the Rebel Blockade Runner. Speaking of which, it would be cool to have a good card model of that.)

I gave thought to using wire or solder to replicate all the surface plumbing, but decided to stick with paper. I laminated a double thickness of gray cardstock and cut it into very thin strips, and bent them to shape and glued them on. In this scale, it looks ok.

Despite the plethora of complex shapes, it was a fun and straightforward build. If it were a bit bigger (or if I were Texman...) it would be an easy starting point for superdetailing. Thanks for reading, and here are some photos....
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Millenium Falcon....-img_5654.jpg   Yet another Millenium Falcon....-img_5652.jpg   Yet another Millenium Falcon....-img_5655.jpg   Yet another Millenium Falcon....-img_5656.jpg   Yet another Millenium Falcon....-img_5657.jpg  

Last edited by dhanners; 10-10-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2017, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Nice work. And you can start superdetailing anytime later .

Extensions for X-wing