PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I just want to clarify something...as a community we can not promote the idea of scanning and building a copy of a model.

If you wish to keep a copy of a model AND build a copy of a model,
the you should acquire/purchase two copies of that model for that purpose.
One that you keep and one that you build.

When you purchase a book/kit like this, you are legally agreeing to use the book as intended,
which in this case is assemble a single preprinted scale model.

You can also choose to keep the book intact and never build it.
But you can't do both.

If you scan and copy the book for the intended purpose of building the copy, you have just pirated the model.

I understand the desire to keep a rare, out of print book in its original form.
I fully support the idea of scanning the book for the purposes of having the ability to create replacement part in case of a "build accident".
I have myself, scanned a printed kit before building it (and kept the file on my computer)
...but I still built the original printed kit. (My Maly A10 Thunderbolt)

Once a copy is made it goes against the copyright rules and restrictions of a printed publication
and if the scanned copy is built (rather than the printed original) it opens up the possibility of selling or redistributing the printed original at some point in the future.

The builder might say "I will never sell the original"...but what about the next person that acquires the book?

Bottom line...There shouldn't be a book to acquire, since the model was built.

I'm not making any direct criticism or accusations against retunga, I hope this isn't taken personally.
Just stating the facts as I see them...
and reminding the community about the legalities of scanning and copying a printed publication.
Attached Thumbnails
1980 Star Trek Enterprise Model-enterprise-copyrights-book.jpg  

Last edited by airdave; 11-17-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Pretty slick!

Wyvern
Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
This was a cool thing to see.

Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 11-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I just want to clarify something...as a community we can not promote the idea of scanning and building a copy of a model.

If you wish to keep a copy of a model AND build a copy of a model,
the you should acquire/purchase two copies of that model for that purpose.
One that you keep and one that you build.

When you purchase a book/kit like this, you are legally agreeing to use the book as intended,
which in this case is assemble a single preprinted scale model.

You can also choose to keep the book intact and never build it.
But you can't do both.

If you scan and copy the book for the intended purpose of building the copy, you have just pirated the model.

I understand the desire to keep a rare, out of print book in its original form.
I fully support the idea of scanning the book for the purposes of having the ability to create replacement part in case of a "build accident".
I have myself, scanned a printed kit before building it (and kept the file on my computer)
...but I still built the original printed kit. (My Maly A10 Thunderbolt)

Once a copy is made it goes against the copyright rules and restrictions of a printed publication
and if the scanned copy is built (rather than the printed original) it opens up the possibility of selling or redistributing the printed original at some point in the future.

The builder might say "I will never sell the original"...but what about the next person that acquires the book?

Bottom line...There shouldn't be a book to acquire, since the model was built.

I'm not making any direct criticism or accusations against retunga, I hope this isn't taken personally.
Just stating the facts as I see them...
and reminding the community about the legalities of scanning and copying a printed publication.
Ok, I see the issue, but if, (theoretically speaking) a model would be scanned and used as a template to create a new model from scratch?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Its not creating a model "from scratch"
if you scanned/traced a pattern already created by someone else?

I'm not sure I understand your question or statement, or how it applies in this case.

My concern is only that as a community...a forum for paper modelers...
we should not be promoting the scanning/copying of books for the purpose of building scanned copies and retaining originals.

I'm suggesting that to follow the basic copyright rules and allowances,
you cannot reproduce the contents of a book in any manner without the permission of the author and/or publisher.

A preprinted paper model kit book allows for one choice...build or don't build.
Not both.

I think we should (quietly) tolerate the scanning of the book to create "backup" parts as needed.
But you must still build the original.
You mustn't build the copy.
And the scan should be disposed of once it isn't needed.
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Actually, by copyright law, you are entitled to create as many copies of any copyrighted item you own, in whatever format you choose. BUT, they are ONLY for your personal use and you can only keep them as long as you have the original art.
This was a big thorn in the side of the RIAA with vinyl and cassette tape.
If I buy a vinyl record, I am entitled to make as many copies of it in whatever format I choose. But only as long as I have the original vinyl. AND I cannot transfer any of those copies to anyone else. They even tried to include a theft-tax on cassette tapes because of this but the case was ruled multiple times and is pretty tight.

Using the same legal precedent:
I am entitled to make a copy of a model from a book allowing me to assemble that copy and keep the original book intact. HOWEVER, I have to maintain ownership of the original book while I keep the model. I cannot transfer the model to anyone else in any fashion. And if I do sell the book, I must dispose of any and all copies I made from the book first.
This is by the letter of copyright law. however, this is also where some would start to drift from the legal requirements.

This is also why DVD and BluRay manufacturers make such a huge deal about including a "FREE" digital copy with your movie purchase. They are trying to muddy this water again. Because by copyright law you are already ENTITILED to make as many copies of any movie you purchase in what ever format you desire. But those copies are only for your personal use, cannot be transferred to anyone else and are only yours as long as you have possession of the original art.
Of course in this new digital age, everyone is trying to change the rules to their benefit.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Agreed and understood.

Problem is, how do you guaranty that the original never gets sold or passed on to an heir.
And will that heir destroy all the assembled copies?

Not likely.

This is a good point:
"Of course in this new digital age, everyone is trying to change the rules to their benefit."

Once again I state I'm only arguing the point that as a paper model community
we can't promote the idea of copying/scanning for the purpose of building the copies and retaining the originals.
I think we must suggest "respect the original designer, the publisher, and related copyright law and don't make/build copies".
Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Some copyright background: Copyright Law: Making Personal Copies | LegalZoom Legal Info
Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
excellent...and it clearly explains how copying a book/model kit for the purpose of building the copy/retaining the original
does not fall under the same exceptions as applies to personal backups of CDs, Tapes, software, etc.

I apologize....especially to retunga.
I'm wasn't trying to turn your thread, or your project, into a discussion about copyrights, etc

I'm also not trying to point fingers at you and make you out to be any sort of criminal.

I do agree with you...its a shame to chop up a rare and possibly valuable "vintage" kit.

My only concern is the way a forum can spread a message to others.
If one person does something, with no negative consequence, then others will follow.
Pretty soon it will become common behaviour to buy printed kits, scan then and build only copies.
And how long before those kits get resold?

This may not be retunga's intention, but other's could follow suit assuming this is an accepted practice.

And, as stated earlier, lets not forget about those who attempt to change the rules to their own benefit.