PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-06-2017, 02:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Star Wars - First Order Athmospheric Assault Lander (AAL)

After last years U-Wing project I have decided to make my new Star Wars model the AAL from the "The Force Awakens". It should make a nice counterpart to the Rebels transport vessel. With it the Imperial Forces could have their own troop transporter ... in the display shelf or on the gaming table

Starting research I found a couple of renderings in the net, but they all where a little different. I was guessing the reference images from the movies were quite scarce. So I went back to watching the few scenes where the AAL is showing up, frame by frame and collecting all good shots. This is my "original" references sheet I compiled.

I then started to make some quick 3D sketches to get a feel for the geometry.

I then wanted to see the landed version, as this is how I imagine the build will be for most and found I missed a couple of important details (like landing gear boxes!)

After taking a step back and comparing this to my research sheet I made some final adjustments (esp in the rear engine section) and I this would be my master model for starting the actual build (unless some new references show up, that show some major errors on my side )

Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Excelent job. I am looking forward to this.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 AM

My first quick and sketchy attempt to build the main hull showed me where I need to optimize the unfold and glue tabs positions. I built it with the rounded upper edges but I think this will be an advanced build version. Esp for the small (15mm figures) version I will make an easy conversion, replacing the rounded edge with a flat beveled one.

For the second try I rearranged a couple of glue tabs and the simpler edge is so much more easy and clean to build now. Also I scaled the 3D model to the right size and tried the small version this build. The small version has the advantage that all parts fit on one page without the need to split them up and also I can see how fiddly small details will be. For the big version (30mm figures) I will have to split big parts to make them fit onto A4/Letter pages.

I think I can start working on all the modules that go onto the main hull now. I will start with the simpler ones first and then tackle the dreaded engines :-)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.39 GB
looking good! cant wait to see it finished.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Me too. I got some new research material (a 3D model from a game) that led me back to the design board. With it I could better decipher all the details. I have redone my geometry now to be as close as I can be with the "original" and will soon start my next prototype.
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM

After my "step-back" I can finally go forward again :-)

Here I have started building the next prototype. You don't really see the changes in geometry much, but at least I know that it is now much closer to the original!

When I glued the bottom on I noticed that I need to trim the ribs a little. The sides were pushed a little apart so I couldn't close the bottom very clean. But then again, it is the bottom and you won't really see much here anyway.

Finally started adding on the structures on the top.

Next up are the side structures including the engines in the back and then the landing gear. That should be an interesting challenge
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another fascinating project!

I can see the genesis of this in World War II landing craft.

Don
Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 AM

While working on the side and bottom details, esp when it came to the landing gear boxes, I realized I wanted to adjust the main hull a little so that the cutting edges would not be too complicated. So I have to redo the main hull ... again! Hope this is the last time :-)

But I like the result. I have also decoupled the belly. Now I can assemble the hull more precise.

When I now close the hull, there are not splits as with the model before. It might seem a little like overkill for an area you don't really see, but these things keep me up at night :-)

I then started with the side details. It's all very small for the 15mm version but still manageable so far.

The engines will be interesting. I have to either split them up in rings or longitudinal. I wish I had built more planes before. But I will just try both approaches and learn what I need to learn! :-)
Old 11-24-2017, 02:30 AM

Started working on the engine tubes. I have decided to bolean cut the hull from them and just glue them on the sides. I had all these elaborate plans with formers and stuff but esp at the 15mm scale there is no room to wriggle!

So here is the larger of the two engine tubes. One is for 30mm version and the other for 15mm. The smaller one was a challenge for me as I am not used to making these very small parts. Started using tweezers!

I mounted the 15mm ones to the hull.

If you look closer, you will see that I have cut one "transversal" along the rings and the other longitudinal. But looking at it now, I think the rings will work better for assembly and texturing.

Next step is the smaller engine tube!
Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 AM

Added the missing smaller engine tubes, the rounded detail below the larger engines and the landing gear boxes (here in open position so I can see how I will add the actual landing gear legs).

The hull is upside down to get a better look at the belly details.

Here is the (up)right view...

And taking a few steps back ...

I did not add the top details here, as they are in pretty good shape already from the other test build and also because I am lazy :-)

I have now tried out all required parts and will work on finalizing all details. Really looking forward to start the texturing soon!
Google Adsense