PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
USS Aldebaran

USS Aldebaran, NCC-77142 Specifications:

Length: 441m
Beam: 252m
Height Extended: 109m
Height Retracted: 86m
Decks: 20

So, since I'm currently out of paper and ink, and thus can't finish my flying wings for now, I've been occupying my time with something else. As you can see, its another non-canon design of my own.

I've been doing some sketches and started fleshing this one particular design out. Its another one of those "moving nacelle" designs I seem to like so much. As you can see, she's pretty big, not quite as big as the Sovereign, Galaxy or Nebula, but certainly no slouch for power.

As you can also tell, she's got a little Sovvy and Oberth in her (plus tiny bits of Galaxy and Excelsior), resulting in a rather compact design. There's a lot of open space where the nacelles slide in, but I don't think its too bad.

Sorry I don't have any of the details on her yet, or the front, back and bottom views, they're coming soon. Hopefully this scan of my sketches can shed some light on the shape, since I don't think you can get a great idea of it from the images povided.

So my intention is to design a model of her after finishing the flying wings. What do you all think?
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
Looks ok. I have one question though, but please don't take offence! Why design starships that have never 'existed'? Yes I know the whole Star Trek universe isn't real! You obviously enjoy it, but for me personally these ships are of no interest at all. I'd certainly never consider building one, I just can't see the point if they're non canon. Just a suggestion, but why not put your considerable talents to designing 'official' vessels e.g. a Sovereign or Ambassador class that are easier for the rest of us to build than the others already available?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
Well, I've built almost all of the starship classes at this point, and sometimes I just have an urge to design my own ships, I've been doing it since I was 10. Now that I know how to design card models, I guess it just seems a little too tempting to bring my creations into 3D.

As for simpler versions of the Ambassador and Sovereign classes, having built both, I have to say they are, in many ways as simple as they can be. At the best, all I could really accomplish is some reorganization and consolidation.

I'm still thinking of grappling the New Orleans and Springfield classes, if you're waiting for more canon ships, but really, most canon starfleet ships have been designed already.

I do have the other version of the Sovereign, and I might be tempted to touch it up at some point, as it could prove to be a simpler build than Zousho's, but it certainly wouldn't have the same level of texture. If you want, I can send you that version.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Love it!...(please don't ask what I think...would take too long! lol).

Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Well, I've built almost all of the starship classes at this point, and sometimes I just have an urge to design my own ships, I've been doing it since I was 10. Now that I know how to design card models, I guess it just seems a little too tempting to bring my creations into 3D.
Ok, fair enough .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I do have the other version of the Sovereign, and I might be tempted to touch it up at some point, as it could prove to be a simpler build than Zousho's, but it certainly wouldn't have the same level of texture. If you want, I can send you that version.
Yes I'd like that very much, thank you .
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM

The idea of designing your own ships somewhat validates the non-canon so to speak.

If we stuck with the canon models, they would be overdone.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Just consider your ships non canon fodder:D

Design what ever you want, if you design it, they will build it. If it is really good you may see it stolen in a future Star Trek movie, or other Sci Fi movie, for that matter. That would be cool (cooler if you got paid) but cool nevertheless.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Nice design, Paragon! I really liked your other ship design, the Durandel, because of the folding nacelle design.

If you like folding designs that much, try out the Klingon D-39 Shellback. It folds it's boom and nacelles up for combat operations:

STSTCSOLD&A | Klingon D-39 "Shellback" class (fanship) - Cruiser

I'm in anticipation of where this design is going.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:08 PM

How about some design crits? Is it too unbalanced? Bulky? Does it seem impractical? Is it too big?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 370.69 MB
Is it based on the Enterprise E design?

Edit: oops I was looking at the wrong pic, sorry, look pretty cool.
Google Adsense