PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
This is bigger than I thought it was. dhanner you built the Tachi did you have trouble with the internal formers? Like a little too big or is it just me and my computer. Anyway built this three times. Third time reduced formers by 95%.
I've built the model in three scales -- Rocinante in the original 1/100th and again in 1/144th, and Tachi in 1/200th. I used formers in all three and had no fit problems. Not sure what your issue could be.

Sometimes, some printers can print correctly in one axis but shrink or stretch the other axis. That's why I love it when designers place both horizontal and vertical calibration scales on their pages. I can tell right away if I've printed it out properly. Make sure you're printing actual size instead of "shrink to fit" but you probably already know that.

As an aside, I personally think 1/144th is the perfect scale for this model. Not too big and not too small. (My display space is limited) If I do Tachi with the corrected markings when they become available, that's the scale I'd do it in.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I've built the model in three scales -- Rocinante in the original 1/100th and again in 1/144th, and Tachi in 1/200th. I used formers in all three and had no fit problems. Not sure what your issue could be.

Ill second that, built it in original, 130% and 150% scale I did have issue but that was mostly down to my lack of skill. It has some very weird shapes around the mid section of the front part and I found that if you used the wrong paper on the joining pieces (i.e to thick), didn't score or fold them correctly or mis aligned them it lead to problems. I also found that you need to be willing to put a little pressure on making sure the outer shell to stretch it correctly over the formers.

With that lovely updated Tachi logo I guess I'll have to look at replacing my 130% Tachi front end at some point in the future.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
With that lovely updated Tachi logo I guess I'll have to look at replacing my 130% Tachi front end at some point in the future.
Or, if the printer's orange matches the original, just cut out that panel and glue the other one on. Or glue the new one on as appliqué. When you look at the Rocinante/Tachi, the hull is covered with appliqué panels, which I modeled by printing out duplicate pages, cutting out the panels and gluing them over the hull.

Some parts of hull, like the torpedo housings and propulsion module, even have three layers.

(I should note that since I took these photos, I added EVA rails to the other side of the upper and lower torpedo housings. I originally just had them on one side, but noticed in screen caps that the rails line both sides of the housings.)
Attached Thumbnails
Rocinante Released-img_6596.jpg   Rocinante Released-img_6597.jpg  
Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.71 MB
hi can you help me? in what proportion should I print it so that I stay on 1/60 scale?
Old 12-23-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILKAUTICO View Post
hi can you help me? in what proportion should I print it so that I stay on 1/60 scale?
To enlarge a 1/100th-scale model to 1/60th, you'd print at 166 percent. 100 divided by 60 is 1.66, so you move the decimal point and it is 166 percent.
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2018, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
To enlarge a 1/100th-scale model to 1/60th, you'd print at 166 percent. 100 divided by 60 is 1.66, so you move the decimal point and it is 166 percent.

Thank you!!! happy holidays and have a good start to the year excellent post!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILKAUTICO View Post
Thank you!!! happy holidays and have a good start to the year excellent post!
And you, too. Good luck with the model. It'll be pretty sizeable in 1/60th scale.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I would have check to see if michaelgr wants the template.
Bumping this up to see if you'd ever heard back from Michael. Some of us would love to build a Tachi with the revised markings....
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
No, have not heard anything from him.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No, have not heard anything from him.
Thanks....
Google Adsense