PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
I'm stumbling out of a longish build retirement to toss a thank you for this. I just finished the build and it is glorious.

I ran across it from another site, and knew I just had to build her. I love this series (books and show), and had seriously considered tackling a new design just to have a paper version. This saved me a ton of work, and almost certainly would have exceeded my rusty design skills.

This is fantastic design work, thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Well howdy stranger! Glad you stumbled our way. You wouldn't happen to have pics of you build that you'd be willing to share, would you? We'd love to see you around here more often if you can. If not, just drop by when you're able.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 PM

I have a few I can share of the finished project. I did not take enough of the build itself I fear to be meaningful. I am still looking to how/where I will display her, as it is quite large. I may mount a foamcore shelf on the back of a monitor.

It has been an awfully long time since I posted anything here, and longer since I dusted off Blender or Pepakura and designed something. I'm very tempted to put some PDC's together for the Roci though. I have a rough model already made, and it is small enough that I might not get distracted designing it.

Tirick
Old 08-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I hope you do. Hope you've been all right during the interim. Thanks for posting the nice clear pics. You haven't lost the touch.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
That looks fabulous, Tirick! And great to hear from you again.
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Fine build! PDC's would be a nice addition. Had to scratchbuild them on mine.

And, yeah, the Tachi/Rocinante/Pinus Contorta/Rocinante is pretty sizable in 1/100. After building it in that scale, I tried one I in 1/144th, which I found more manageable. Also built Tachi in 1/200th, which was a challenge but doable because of the model's good design.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Great Build!
If you manage to design the PDC's, contact me and we'll see if we can incorporate them into the pattern and instruction files.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:22 AM

Many thanks! I have an addiction to new projects, so no guarantees, but this was the early prototype I built a while back. It was meant for a much smaller Roci though (30 cm or so), so I'd likely step up the level of detail.

Of course I've left the Roci too long without a proper stand and one of my cats has knocked her over. Damage isn't too terrible, but she'll need a touch of refit work...
Old 09-18-2018, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
New member had to post to say thanks to Michaelgr for this amazing model. Have been looking for models based on the ships in this show for some time and it seems their are none out there, so this was a god send. It also meant dusting off my modelling skills, it's been some 20 years since I did any builds but this was a must try.

I am limited to how many pics I can post because I am new so I guess the pics will have to wait

I built both versions of the model, I started with the hero ship but fat fingers, lack of skill and my ability to not look at instructions before I do stuff resulted in a few mistakes and poor detailing, especially around the drive cone parts, boy they are fiddly those supports struts.

The Tachi got upscaled to 130% scale and I tweaked the satnd to give it an upwards rack, as well as came up with some decoration for the base.

A Mk3 larger scale Roci is on the cards but I am wait and see how the work on the PDCs goes.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Just a quick update, I am working on an enlarged version of the Roci to match the larger version of the Tachi I have already built however for the Roci I have decided to try my hand at some PDC's for the model. Never tried designing stuff before so just busy doing some mocks just now.

I'll post some pics when I reach the requirements for pics posting
Google Adsense