PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
Thanks guys, I'll do the 150% build first then scale the PDC modes down and use the Mk1 as a test bed so that they can be used with the Mikes model as standard before sticking the designs up.

Those PDC's look sweet - should I put my model at risk and try to fit those in when you're done? I kinda want to but am afraid of doing damage.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
Those PDC's look sweet - should I put my model at risk and try to fit those in when you're done? I kinda want to but am afraid of doing damage.

Thanks man, the Roci model you created is amazing so doing what I can to get something that works well with the model you created while sticking to what the program has shown has been a challenge.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
Truly a wonderfully thought out model!

I recently built this Rocinante. Spent 10 hours on it. (Cheated on the engine struts though, I Sharpie-markered some toothpicks) Entire build went off without a hitch! Looks great on display in our physics lab! I'm looking forward to building the Epstien in the near future!
Attached Thumbnails
Rocinante Released-img_3565.jpg   Rocinante Released-img_3563.jpg  
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 PM

That's a sweet build there Sludge, nice one!

So been away doing some work related stuff for the last week or so but have managed to get a test of a more final version of the PDC put together. This one is a little bit larger because, well something went weird software I was using for the resize, so the Roci model I am building is going to a bit bigger than 150%

Old PDC on the left new one on the right, only difference is it's a wee bit bigger, the detail has been finished I re worked the side guards / doors so that they form the full right shape but the model most likely will need some tweaks just to make the build a bit easier and I may lighten the colours on the black sections, some images show black others show light grey Roci colours, but for now I am gonna push on with this design for the model I am building.

The rest are some test fits of the PDC housing on model sections I have built so far, I'll add them once the model is complete as they are quite delicate and most likely won't stand up to the handling needed during the rest of the final build.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 PM

Those PDCs look great. Cant wait to build them! Back in my navy days, I was a tech on the Old Block 0 CIWS, the "real" PDCs. As we used to say, Happiness is a warm, slightly ammo-depleted weapon!

I wonder if the new season will depict the Beltermod keel mounted railgun described in the books...
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the new season will depict the Beltermod keel mounted railgun described in the books..

Hope so given that it plays a pretty key roll in the mid to later section of the book's story. Lol guess that will be a another mod to add to this model.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Hope so given that it plays a pretty key roll in the mid to later section of the book's story. Lol guess that will be a another mod to add to this model.
My son suggested I build another of this one with these PDCS and then mod a nerf pistol so the future rail gun fires.

Dang kids. Dunno where I went wrong with that one. LMAO
Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
The PDCs look good. Fine work!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 PM

So i've just finished the mid or cargo section of the model as well as getting the second PDC and housing made.

The only issue is I am finding that some of the parts of the design are a bit on the fiddly side which in turn also means that once together the model can be a bit delicate.

Not an issue for my model at 150% size but it could prove to be problematic for folk wanting to use these on the original or even smaller scale sizes. So I opted to do a small redesign.

The barrel is no longer a single piece glued to the turret, I made it longer so it goes inside the turret and is glued to the back of the turret. The inside of the turret also has a reinforcement rectangle that the barrel is fed through and this is also glued to the back of the turret. The feet are no longer two parts glued to the underside of the barrel but instead one single rectangle that is fed through a hole that is cut in the base of the turret and then glued to support rectangle inside the barrel.

The result is a much more sturdy PDC, there are less complex folds, cuts and fiddly bits to work with so making them smaller shouldn't result in parts becoming too fiddly to work with while keeping the overall look of the PDC intact.

I'll need to have a think about the guards on the top of the PDC as these won't reduce in size very well so a more simlfied shape may be required.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
So i've just finished the mid or cargo section of the model as well as getting the second PDC and housing made.

The only issue is I am finding that some of the parts of the design are a bit on the fiddly side which in turn also means that once together the model can be a bit delicate.

Not an issue for my model at 150% size but it could prove to be problematic for folk wanting to use these on the original or even smaller scale sizes. So I opted to do a small redesign.

The barrel is no longer a single piece glued to the turret, I made it longer so it goes inside the turret and is glued to the back of the turret. The inside of the turret also has a reinforcement rectangle that the barrel is fed through and this is also glued to the back of the turret. The feet are no longer two parts glued to the underside of the barrel but instead one single rectangle that is fed through a hole that is cut in the base of the turret and then glued to support rectangle inside the barrel.

The result is a much more sturdy PDC, there are less complex folds, cuts and fiddly bits to work with so making them smaller shouldn't result in parts becoming too fiddly to work with while keeping the overall look of the PDC intact.

I'll need to have a think about the guards on the top of the PDC as these won't reduce in size very well so a more simlfied shape may be required.
I think the spent ammo catching drums will scale just fine from what I've seen so far!

Good call on the new version of the gatling assembly!

Personally, I'd build either verson of the gun mount. Perhaps the dual strut version would benefit from sandwiching printing a pair of each each, then sandwiching a bit of corrugated board in between?

(Just a suggestion- is how I would likely assemble them freehand. Im no good with art software, but here's good ol' MS Paint sketch)

Something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Rocinante Released-cradel.jpg  
Google Adsense