PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Been pretty busy lately with friends & family visiting, so haven't had much time to model.

I've redone the gun covers on the sponsons, plus figured out how I wanted the assembly to work so that I can (a) rotate the guns by turning the sensor above, and (b) take the entire thing apart. You know, in case I want to make some different guns someday

Started working on the main gun housing too, this will house a 4-barrel rotary gun, called a Thunderfire Cannon. Because it looks pretty awesome.

None of this is strictly canon, according to 40k the Thunderfire is usually only mounted on an Achilles Pattern Land Raider, but I figure that since this will eventually be painted with bloody magpie colors, and that chapter apparently tends to um, appropriate, anything that isn't bolted down, this is ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2391.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2390.jpg  
Old 08-16-2018, 12:23 AM

Main gun: barrels

Making the main gun's barrels. These are just four rolled-up tubes of regular printer paper, glued with purple school glue. Nothing to see here, move along
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2394.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2395.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2396.jpg  
Old 08-16-2018, 12:28 AM

Main gun: barrels take 2

The main gun has these disks that fit around the barrels, with all sorts of stuff going on. So I cut the disks out of card, slipped them on the barrels, and dry-fitted them into the gun's housing to check it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2397.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2398.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2399.jpg  
Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 AM

Main gun: finished

Added all the detail around the main gun, looks pretty neat, at least to me. In the last photo you can see the starboard swivel gun is still missing - I used the main gun's construction to take a break, since the swivel gun is very time & energy consuming. Anyways, I'll get back to it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2400.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2401.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2402.jpg  
Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 AM

2 steps forward 1 step back

Ha. Built the starboard sponson swivel gun, then realized afterwards I had built the mirror image gun armor plate. Sigh. Luckily it is not that bad to build.

Anyways, a photo to show the current progress:
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2409.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2018, 06:13 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Looks great - so detailed. This is going to be killer when paint pulls it all together. Watching with interest. Great job!
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Thanks Don! Yes, it is in the last stages now before I prime it. Then we'll see whether there are any large under-detailed spots - it is kinda hard to see with the lines & marks on the printed paper.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:34 AM

Rear engine vents

Spent the evening making the large engine vents on the rear of the vehicle.
Lots of tedious cutting and gluing, but the end-result looks nice. Still a bit of cleanup to do, and for now the parts are only dry-fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2414.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2415.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2418.jpg  
Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 AM

Smaller details

Smaller progress lately: added a bunch more rivets, added some more engine detailing, started filling in the minor gaps with some card strips, etc.

I'm making the requisite imperial eagle and company paraphernalia from sculpey and apoxie, but this is wip so there is not much to show yet. These need to go on the front and side hatches.

Some photos attached to show the progress. The last photo shows why this model is taking me so long
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2419.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2420.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2422.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2425.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2428.jpg  

Old 09-07-2018, 12:02 AM

Iconography

Working on the iconography (don't know what else to call it!).

Got an Imperial Eagle design going, this will go on the front of the vehicle.

Then a Blood Raven / Sun design, pretty much inspired by this post on bolterandchainsword.com: Blood Ravens 5th Battle Company [WIP] - + WORKS IN PROGRESS + - The Bolter and Chainsword
I'll make two copies of these, and put one on each side door (which is why the thing is painted black, makes it hard to see in the photo. Sorry about that. This has to dry to make the mold).

All of this is pretty slow going, tiny details, working with apoxie sculpt and sculpey, and then I'll do the mold making and casting.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2430.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2432.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
landraider, mixedmedia, wh40k