PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-07-2018, 06:31 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Just wow. Every photo montage outdoes the previous one. You're doing one h3ll of a job on this model. The engine vents are an amazing piece of precision work that must have taken you hours. I am jealous of your ability to see such a large and detailed project through to its completion. I have the skills, but unfortunately my need for more or less instant gratification limits the duration and complexity of my builds. Super model!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Thanks! Yes, specifically with the vents (which took an entire evening) my wife thought I had a screw or two loose.

For what it's worth, I also have a need for instant gratification. However I have 3 young kids, and what little time I get to spend on these things I have carefully negotiated, so the long haul is the only one I've got.

The flipside is that a build like this has so many facets, and some of them offer pretty quick gratification, so not only do I not get bored, but I look forward to doing pretty much a different thing each time I sit down.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:59 AM

Imperial Eagle Mold, Paint prototype prep

Primed & painted the imperial eagle with polyurethane, then applied some thinned silicone. After this I covered it in plain silicon; this will become the final mold.

I also stuck together some of the prototype parts I built, and then primed it.
(You can see the different style of tracks I tried before).

This little guy will be my paint testing model.

He has already proven his worth: I quickly learned NOT to spray paint something on a Los Angeles afternoon, especially in the full sun. The paint dries before it hits the model, created this weird furry texture that is damn hard to get rid of.

Note to self: only spray paint at night, once the air has cooled down.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2433.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2434.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2447.jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 AM

Final (almost) model

Here are some higher res photos of the (almost) final model, before final prep and painting.

There are only a couple of things still to add: some wax seals and scrolls on the side guns, and some extra texture to the tops of the track housings.

I'm debating whether to detail a bit more detail around the top hatches; in particular the periscope mirrors that surround the hatches. Once painted the tabs will simply lose definition, so they may require some detail.

PS I'm trying some different settings and exposures on my camera, plus playing around with longer exposures using a tripod to get more of the model in focus. I'm still learning though, the images may be a bit dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2442.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2441.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2445.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2446.jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:33 AM

Incredible. That one will be hard to top.
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Thanks Don! It is a mixed-media build though, not quite up to scratch with the awesome pure paper work I see elsewhere on this forum (your models included!).

I think for my next build I'll choose something simpler, but completely paper. If I can resist the temptation to add bits & pieces...
Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 AM

Wood hardener

I decided to add a decent covering of wood hardener to the model. This stuff applies like thin super glue, and soaks the paper/card, when it dries it... hardens. Feels very plasticy and resilient now.

The hardener also soaks into the plaster casts I have on the model, so they are now very hard and do not give off any dust at all. Bonus!
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2448.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2449.jpg   Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2451.jpg  
Old 09-18-2018, 01:14 AM

Prime time

Sprayed everything with gray primer. Have to be patient though, this stuff goes on thick very quickly. I have a couple of spots I've had to fix up with some acetone already.

But I reckon it looks ok so far... The gray cover hasn't exposed any glaring problems. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixed-media Patoroch Land Raider-img_2475.jpg  
Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 AM

You reckon correctly, sir. Even more impressive now that's all one color.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 230.80 MB
You understand that it was a shame to paint it; you covered up all your hard work. Still, I'm looking forward to the colors. Dave H
Google Adsense

Tags
landraider, mixedmedia, wh40k