PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
Quick project over morning coffee for Sulaco fans

My original, full size build of JRs awesome Sulaco was lost to some Nebraska weather involving a west facing window and some fist sized hail a few years back, but, I have printed out a 1/3rd of the original size version to build once I get the last three engines on the Rodger Young.

Anyway, to warm up, I threw together this amazing hi-rez "comissioning plate" I dug up around the web a while back.

This is a simple build that works great with a combo of cardstock, F-flute corrugated, and some 2mm "ish" paperboard used in construction.

I took some liberties, as the pattern is just one sheet, but it includes an instructrion page and a "flat" version (read that as just cut out a rectangle). I turned the star into a greeble and doctored the acid burns with some careful lime-green sharpie over the "stock" neon yellow. I also skipped the optional rivet greebs(edge gluing cardstock at 0500? No way, dude.) and just cut out the three from the flat version after paperboarding.

I bonded the flat version and the greeblies to the paperboard, then laminated the cardstock (printed on bright white due to the hi-rez textures! Two layers of F-flute (from a foam pillow box) laminated fit the frame strips perfectly. A little sharpie marker edge work and BAM! my Aliens collection on my desk at work looks great!

EDIT: Sorry the pictures may display sideways for you. My work computer is frustratingly archaic

Great, fast build to get mentally prepared for the saga that shal be building JRs Sulaco and finishing uhu02's Discovery simultaneously.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick project over morning coffee for Sulaco fans-img-3606.jpg   Quick project over morning coffee for Sulaco fans-img-3603.jpg   Quick project over morning coffee for Sulaco fans-img-3604.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
They turned her into a Newt!

Looks good. You are doing some fantastic work, sir
Old 10-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Love how it describes it as 'Light Assault Cruiser' when you compare it to just about everything else seen in the films up to that point the word 'Light' is not what I think of when I see The Sulaco

Nice work, love the acid burn in the bottom corner really nice.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
Love how it describes it as 'Light Assault Cruiser' when you compare it to just about everything else seen in the films up to that point the word 'Light' is not what I think of when I see The Sulaco
Agreed. The scale of the Sulaco vs the Betty vs the Nostromo Refinerey is astounding. Particularly when one takes into consideration most of the Sully is fuel, drives, and coms systems and the mission was a rush job with a skeleton compliment of screw-ups and no ship's crew. Massive post-industrial blue-collar space travel on a budget. In other words, disposable!

Mr. Ruker does a great job of exposing this with his version that has the EEV blow out port and the various mods folks have done to make his model drop ship capable. I am relishing the challenge to build it again, this time scaled down to two pages per sheet. I rescaled the derelect model that is floating around in an attempt to get a Suli and Death Donut scaled set, but more work is needed on my part to make that work.

my original Big Guy build was an epic undertaking and actually triggered me to take a three year break from building. Of course I was a bit of a novice back then, so I built the whole thing with regular printer paper and sheer force of will. Exhausting, but worth it! (Though uhu is trying to kill me with his Discovery model...those wedge vent greebs on the keel boxes are murder!)