PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
WH40K Vanquisher tank

Inspired by g0rb's splendid multi media Warhammer tank, I decided to build another of Ukrainian designer Pataroch's (Vadim Davydkov) WH40K vehicles. Vadim is a prolific designer who has developed over 250 free WH40K kits. His kits contain both B&W and colored parts pages. His colored models are quite plain, and since I enjoy recoloring as much as building, I always spend a little Photoshop time to make the model a bit more appealing.

The Vanquisher is basically an upgunned Lehman Russ tank, the mainstay armored vehicle of the Imperial Guard units. I textured the parts with a muted green and purple camo scheme, and highlighted and shadowed the many rivets for a more 3D look. When all is said and done, it will be liveried in the basic markings of the Death Corps of Krieg. The main cannon will carry the motto "LOYALTY" designating it as the personal tank of Commissar Konstantin Garrick.

Page 1 contains most of the parts needed to build the hull. There are assorted parts for other subassemblies as well, but I put those pieces aside for now. I started out with part 1 which makes up the basic hull shape. I reinforced the inside with lightweight corrugated cardboard from a tennis shoe box. I like to use this type of cardboard as it tends not to warp all that much. After closing this part up, I just piled on part after part until there were no hull parts left on the parts page. As always, a lot of layering is required with these models. I used 0.5 and 1mm cardboard as indicated on the instructions. Cutting out the layered parts is tough on blades, but I use the cheap knife and snap off blades from Harbor Freight, so I can change them frequently without too much pain.

Next up will be page 2.
Attached Thumbnails
WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquishera.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherb.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherc.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherd.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquishere.jpg  

WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherf.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherg.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Start spectacular, it looks perfect. The perfect connections amaze me. We will remain attentive.
Sergio
Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Good start. Your graphics work brings the model to life.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:09 AM

Thanks fellas. These are truly great models. The fit is perfection. They are designed in 1/60 scale to mesh with the figures and vehicles from Games Workshop. Mine are always a bit smaller (1/68) as I have to print at less than 100% to accommodate letter sized paper. I told a lie: that is not light weight corrugated cardboard you see in photo #1. It's plain old 1mm cardboard. I used the sneaker box to reinforce the Spanish Civil War armored truck I'm building at the same time. I hope to have that model done for the IPMC this Friday/Saturday. The Vanquisher will take a little more time.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
This looks fantastic! Your folds, glue lines... everything is just sharp. And the recolor looks superb. Looking forward to the journey!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2018, 03:18 PM

I was on a vintage Rigby recolor kick for the past month or so, but now it's time to get back to the Vanquisher. g0rb's fantastic mixed media WH40K tank inspired me to get a little wild and crazy with the tracks. The original tracks are just a flat strip, but I decided to redraw them to make individual hinged links.

Photo 1 is a shot of the new caterpillar parts page - not enough links - just what would fill a letter sized page. Photo 2 shows a link cut out. Photo 3 is a shot of the underside after edge coloring. I used a Sharpie which bled a bit - very obvious on the back side, but not visible on the topside. In Photo 4 the 2 hinge strips on one side have been folder over a paper clip and glued down. Photo 5 is of the underside with all 3 hinge rings formed. Photo 6 is the (almost) completed link. I still need to add the pad to the center. In photo 7 the link is in place, joined to the others with thin pla$tic rod. I've managed to string 32 links together so far - still a bit short - I'll need 37 or so to wrap all the way around. More to come very soon, for those following along.
Attached Thumbnails
WH40K Vanquisher tank-tracka.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-trackb.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-trackc.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-trackd.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-tracke.jpg  

WH40K Vanquisher tank-trackf.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-trackg.jpg  
Old 12-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great weathering and detailing.

Don too
Old 12-27-2018, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Wow those tracks look amazing! You sir, win the scratchbuilt track competition, they are the best I have seen yet! Merry Christmas too, by the way.

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Thanks, Don and g0rb, and Happy New Year everyone! Except for a few small bits, the second parts page is history. It included some of the turret assembly, a few additional parts for the hull, and much of the vehicle's right side.

The only part which fit poorly was the sensor thingamabob that hangs on the left side of the turret (photo 4). It seems the multiple angles caused Pataroch some problems. As designed it sagged downward, and didn't point straight ahead. Dry fitted, it just didn't look right. I checked some interweb images of the Vanquisher to confirm how it should look before I glued it in place - definitely wrong. I did some surgery on the part so it would sit flush and parallel to the front. Otherwise, every part was perfect in fit and finish.

The modified track is a definite improvement, and any future WH40K tanks I build will get the same treatment. It's time consuming to build the caterpillar one link at a time this way, but is definitely worth the effort. When building a tank, it's pretty much a given that the spot where the caterpillar comes together will NOT result in a full link (hint: always join the track at some inconspicuous location). When I stretched the track around on the Vanquisher however, the links matched up perfectly, and the final hinge pin slid right in. It was a Christmas Miracle!

The next parts page is printed and ready to go. More soon.
Attached Thumbnails
WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherg-2-.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherh.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisheri.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherj.jpg   WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherk.jpg  

WH40K Vanquisher tank-vanquisherl.jpg  
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Don,

Excellent track work.

How do you retain the pins in position?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense