PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
Rodger Young COMPLETED! (really big)

Well gang, I finally finished the Rodger Young from Starship Troopers.

I have no clue of the scale, but it is a pretty fine model. I did have to modify a few parts as they were off a bit, but nothing major. I did color in the hull numbers as they were slightly wrong (17 G as opposed to the proper 176 in a scifi font), but Ill hand cut some new ones to glue on.

It is a massive well designed model specing out at 1179mm (about 44 inches) stem to stern.

All in all a very satisfying build!

I believe this was designed by someone named "Ekuth", but I had trouble confirming that due to lots of dead links. I'd love to get in touch with the creator, as I would love permission to scale this down by half and reskin it for a future build. (plus add the missing rail guns, point defense systems and a bunch of greebles) More importantly, I would like to put that person's name on the info plate that goes with the display!

Sorry if the photos display sideways. for whatever reason, windows 10 always turns iPhone photos sideways when I upload them here, but only randomly. when I adjust them they just display worse)

This one is for display at work. Is going to look awesome next to the Sulaco, the Discovery and the Galactica in our Science of Science Fiction Display!
Attached Thumbnails
Rodger Young COMPLETED! (really big)-img-3627.jpg   Rodger Young COMPLETED! (really big)-img-3629.jpg   Rodger Young COMPLETED! (really big)-img-3632.jpg   Rodger Young COMPLETED! (really big)-img-3633.jpg   Rodger Young COMPLETED! (really big)-img-3631.jpg  

Last edited by sludge; 10-22-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Comment
Google Adsense
Old 10-23-2018, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
excellent model! if you are re skinning and re scaling for yourself have at it. but by no means re distribute without the authors permission. kind of like buying a book and putting your own cover on it. but don't sell it as yours. great collection of sci fi ships also.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Great build! It is indeed a massive ship. You are right with your assessment, ekuth is the designer (IIRC).
Old 10-30-2018, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
Well, well. Looks like my work still survives after all these years.
Yes, I created the RY. Unless someone else did in the meantime, mine is the
only one out there. Haven't been in the PM scene for ages, so I could be wrong.
Scale? Uh... if it's not on the instructions then it's 1/HUGE.

You may certainly scale it down and reskin it, but only for personal use. Have at making the remaining attachments, I never got around to the greebly bits. Bad enough as it was, but I was planning on layering the hull for a more 3D effect. See my Giant TOS Galactica build for the level of insanity my builds can get to.

Anywho, thanks for building the old girl; looks good.

Ekuth
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekuth View Post
Well, well. Looks like my work still survives after all these years.
Yes, I created the RY. Unless someone else did in the meantime, mine is the
only one out there. Haven't been in the PM scene for ages, so I could be wrong.
Scale? Uh... if it's not on the instructions then it's 1/HUGE.

You may certainly scale it down and reskin it, but only for personal use. Have at making the remaining attachments, I never got around to the greebly bits. Bad enough as it was, but I was planning on layering the hull for a more 3D effect. See my Giant TOS Galactica build for the level of insanity my builds can get to.

Anywho, thanks for building the old girl; looks good.

Ekuth
Thanks! I have to admit I haven't had this much fun on a large scale model in years. It gets lots of comments as folks pass by it on display in our physics lab! Our department head is a huge fan of the original movie and the book, so I have been tasked to build this one again for his office!

The skin and scale version one will be for my personal collection at home.

I've been eyeballing your Galactica build for quite a while...some day I shall rise to the challenge! I have a redux version I put together a while back (can't even remember who's it is it has been so long), but right now I'm swamped finishing the uhu02 2001 models, a "ready room" series display of all the ships named Enterprise,a half size print of alien 99's sulaco and my own borg cube nightmare project.

Our Science of Science Fiction course at the Uni is taking off to great accord (pun intended) so in addition to displaying everyone's great design, we use them in the resident courses to better demonstrate a lot of the spaceflight physics featured in film and TV.

One of these days I'll post up the pics of the foam asteroid we built as part of the gravity well demo we use the RY for!
Google Adsense