PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Just another quick update, premapped the mid and backend of the ship and started to add the engines and some of their details in

Will need to tweak the scale on some stuff, but will take a look at as the model gets closer to being a bit more compete.

*edit*

The scaling I said, well the engine strip and details just didn't sit right, they just looked too big, so I did a quick bit of work to rescale them. No pics but they look about the right sort of size now. Also required some tweaking of the main body mounts.

Last edited by Cheesy Wotsit; 12-03-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.34 GB
Looks interesting
Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
looking forward to phase two - "the build"
Old 12-04-2018, 05:18 PM

So what do you recon, starting to look like the Donnager now.

The engine nacelles are a real pain to get right. They seem to have at least three distinct layers built one on top of the other, they also don;t actually sit on the main hull with the backend having a taper that is support on a strut, on top of that the actually bell to the engine is larger than the largest outer cowl. So it's causing a few build difficulties. So far I've got this.

It's possible to build but I suspect it could be quite fiddly. It's going to need a little work to get it simplified, either that or some artistic license with the look and how it's mounted.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Quick update, have spent a bit of time working on making the engines easier to build. Think I may have got something that should do the job. Still need to do some work on incorporating the engine bell.

Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2018, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Nice work, me like a lot !!!
Old 12-09-2018, 03:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
This looks great! Looking forward to future progress :-)

Do you unfold via Pepakura? Are you aware of this great tool for Blender: https://en.blender.org/index.php/Ext...rt/Paper_Model

Might make the unfolding part easier ...

Chris
Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
@Cheesy Wotsit - You have made incredible progress in a very short period of time. You also seem to have picked up a good bit of skill with blender in a short period. Neither of those are inconsequential.

To echo others, I would suggest using the paper model plugin for blender as opposed to pepakura. I found that to get pep to properly read one of the formats output by blender caused most of the material/texture/uvmaps to break horribly. I didn't feel like dumbing down the printed details just so pep wouldn't mangle them.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
This looks great! Looking forward to future progress :-)

Do you unfold via Pepakura? Are you aware of this great tool for Blender: https://en.blender.org/index.php/Ext...rt/Paper_Model

Might make the unfolding part easier ...
I was not aware of this plug in, as I am nearing the end of the general model build in blender I have started messing around with textures and such for the model, part of that has been the UV Map and using the unfold tool that is already built in. To be honest it's all a bit of a hassle and is ANOTHER steep learning curve, only made worse by the fact that my initial experiments seemed resulted in textures that would not transfer to Pepekura. So this plug in is going to be given a serious look, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
@Cheesy Wotsit - You have made incredible progress in a very short period of time. You also seem to have picked up a good bit of skill with blender in a short period. Neither of those are inconsequential.

To echo others, I would suggest using the paper model plugin for blender as opposed to pepakura. I found that to get pep to properly read one of the formats output by blender caused most of the material/texture/uvmaps to break horribly. I didn't feel like dumbing down the printed details just so pep wouldn't mangle them.

Thanks Thales, yeah I've started to mess with textures and have been finding that Pepekura doesn't seem to work well with the exported files. I did have a potential work around but would have been a load of extra work with two extra steps that could have introduced errors and issues.

*edit after testing plugin*

Damn that is one sexy addon, this is going to make thing an awful lot easier, thanks guys.

Last edited by Cheesy Wotsit; 12-09-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Test
Old 12-09-2018, 07:18 PM

Thought I would throw this up. The model is very close to complete, just need to come up with a design for the engine bells and I may or may not tweak the scale and greeble details. Anyway was playing about with textures I may have something that could work.

Google Adsense

Tags
donnager, expanse