PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Can't wait to see this colored! The build is looking super good.

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Big day folks a few more additions to the prototype but long story short it's done.

The final design now has the four engine bells, two rail guns and a small section at the back to extend the back half of the ship and because it always goes wrong as you get towards the end, these parts of course ended up causing the most trouble. The engine bells where a massive pain resulting in me doing an almost ground up redesign of the the engine nacelles.

That is a selection of just a few designs I ran through trying to get the engines the right shape and size, they ended up either being too large sticking far to far out the back of the vessel, too wide, too fiddly to build. The versions shown on the final prototype got a small tweak to make them larger for the final build but they will more or less as shown in the pictures above.

The rail gun also had to be redesigned as it was miles to fiddly to build, saying that the railgun was the last part I designed in the blender model a month ago and was knocked up in a round five minutes and left untouched.

I also redesigned the little wings on the top of the engine nacelles (shorter originals are still on the built prototype), nothing radical they just got made longer

So this is the model I am going with, let the texturing begin.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 365.92 MB
That is looking awesome! Looking forward to watching the texturing happen
Regarding the stand you are working on, I like what Jan did for his Starcraft Cannon model. Maybe it might inspire you?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57townsman View Post
That is looking awesome! Looking forward to watching the texturing happen
Regarding the stand you are working on, I like what Jan did for his Starcraft Cannon model. Maybe it might inspire you?

That is very very nice, I have been thinking about the stand the weird thing is when it comes to displaying the final model I won't actually be using the stand as I'll end up wall mounting the model like I did with the Roci model. I may even use the same wall mount display with the plaque details being changed round a bit

However for the folks that do want to use the stand I've been thinking of a stand made up of 3D versions of the MCRN letters designed around the MCRN logo
Old 01-17-2019, 04:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Given the orientation of the ships of "The Expanse," a vertical display? This is what I did with my 1/144th-scale Rocinante....
Attached Thumbnails
The Expanse: MCRN Donnager-img_7856.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I've never seen the show, so this is my first time looking in. Very impressive design work, especially considering this was basically a learning model for you. For a non-designer like me, what you've accomplished in such a short time is truly inspiring.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Love the geometry! The full configuration looks really cool. Looking forward to texturing!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
All we need now is half a dozen stealth frigates and an M80.... "Cant" wait to build this one to park next to my other bigguns!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sludge View Post
All we need now is half a dozen stealth frigates and an M80.... "Cant" wait to build this one to park next to my other bigguns!

M80? Is that from The Expanse or are you referencing something else?

Texturing has started, I've done some in the past but nothing quite as extensive as this, so again quite a learning curve the results are so far okayish. I'am going to texture each main section along with any parts that are attached to that section before building them. The idea being that I'll get an idea as I go along how each part looks allowing me to sort any dodgy parts as I go along.

So far I've got the first main body part done along with a couple of the attached parts.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
If it's possible, please make parts just like it were done in Rocinante. I mean: textures were bitmaps, but lines of cuting or bending were as seperate layers (pdf). It was great idea, because I coud open each page in Inkscape or any other vector program and remove them. They were invisible in final kit
Google Adsense

Tags
donnager, expanse