PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunarispace View Post
If it's possible, please make parts just like it were done in Rocinante. I mean: textures were bitmaps, but lines of cuting or bending were as seperate layers (pdf). It was great idea, because I coud open each page in Inkscape or any other vector program and remove them. They were invisible in final kit

Still experimenting with different programs and techniques for the texturing. I am currently redoing the work I showed above in an update version of PSP as I really was not happy with the quality of the fold lines and a few other factors.

The texture I am working on just now has far less obvious fold lines but it's another area I am having to learn which means for now I can't say if I'll be able to create separate layers for fold lines and textures. The software allows it but once saved it has to recombine them.

I used Inkscape back when I did textures for GTSport and it is a horrible program to us. I had a look at what you described with importing the Roci PDFs in to the software but as far as I can see it combines everything in to a single layer so nice work if you were able to use it to separate the fold lines and textures.

Their is no doubt I am going to try a few different things and see what works best so who knows.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
For the "layouting" of my models I use Adobe Illustrator with it's PDF support. But as this is a commercial software it might not be an option. I have heard that the free open source layout software Scribus also has PDF support. But I have not tested this. Maybe this could be an option to enable the use of mixed layers. Anyone have experience with it?

Chris
Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Plodding on with the texturing. I am still messing around with some techniques but for the most part I think I've found a layout that works. Sorry but the fold lines will not be a separate entity from the final texture. As it is that is just beyond my knowledge and the software I have access too, however I have managed to put them in to the texture in a way that pretty much hides them unless you are on the look out for them.

Anyway here's the first few parts with textures

The textures are taking some serious liberties with design and placement. The entire front section I've made up as their is now footage of what the ship looks like here.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Looking good!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 01-26-2019, 05:33 PM

Quick update, the textures continue. Some turning out the way I want a few will be subject to tweaks here and there but so far so good. Thing I am finding is that sections of detail which look massive in the editor actually turn out to be really small when printed. Theirs a good chance that this will be a version one. I am sticking to trying to incorporate detail in to the textures but a combination of scale and printing means that the deatil doesn't always work and of course some of the details just don't look right when put to the final model.

Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
I'm ready to build this model

Last edited by dunarispace; 01-27-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunarispace View Post
I'm ready to build this model

Still got a bit of wqork to do before that. Saying that no pictures but the final part of the main body has gone on tonight. Now the fun parts starts, nose cones and engines.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 PM

Quick update with a quick pic of progress.

Have had to do a little tweaking here and there to get sizing correct and making sure everything goes together correctly. Still a little unsure about how to texture the antenna on the front of the ship. Just now they are cocktail sticks coloured with a few suitable felt tips.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
The detailing looks good! And I don't mind a couple of colored cocktail sticks

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 02-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
I've completed the rail gun upon it's own and enjoyed that little project. Soon as the one on the bench is done. BOOM, Rocinante here I come. Cheesy, thank you a thousand credits over for this project and a thousand more for the next. Long Live Mars!
Google Adsense

Tags
donnager, expanse