PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB

Well the engine detailing is taking a little longer than expected... some of that is the detail needed, some of that is the number of parts and a lot of it is Kingdom Hearts 3 fault

but anyway have put the first few bits of engine on to the model

I am not 100% happy with the results of these first parts, not sure what I am going to do to fix them but they need a little tweaking.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Oh was kinda shocked that the last post actually posted. I wrote the post, hit post and then the site timed out so I tried again and it timed out again so I gave up. Although the twin pictures of the same thing seems to suggest something went wrong.

Anyway, I revisted the engine textures and came up with this

The top rail is the old one and the bottom is the new one. I've tried to keep a theme that runs through all of the parts, added some lighter details with a wee bit of orange and tried to generally tidy the detailing up.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
It looks great!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Nice work, im impressed
Old 02-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Just a quick update on some of the background work going in to the texturing. Long story short I have been tidying up the final textures for the model and looking at and trying new ways of doing textures for the model as I've been building the Mk1 model. As the model goes along and I discover new techniques I plan to revists the initial textures and update them.

The result so far

- I've discovered ways of adding some nice looking details (in my opinion)
- I've worked out how to add fold lines with next to no artifacts and do so quickly. At the start it was a case of either spends ages adding the fold details and have no artifacts or add them quickly but it added loads of background noise to the texture.
- I've worked out how to add fold lines on a single layer by themself. This allows the maker to remove the fold lines from the model if they wish, although I still haven't worked out how that can be applied to a save file other than a .PSP as every other conventional format seems to merge all layers together. Using a direct PDF print from within PSP still results in a single layer image once opened in something like Inkscape.

I've been tweaking the overall layout and look, I am still messing with the colour of the fold lines on certain parts to make them easier to see when actually building but so that they don;t flat stand out in the final build (quite difficult getting this one right.)

All in all the result is the final textured model is taking a bit longer than expected to get built.
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2019, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
- I've worked out how to add fold lines on a single layer by themself. This allows the maker to remove the fold lines from the model if they wish, although I still haven't worked out how that can be applied to a save file other than a .PSP as every other conventional format seems to merge all layers together. Using a direct PDF print from within PSP still results in a single layer image once opened in something like Inkscape.

GIMP can import Photoshop files directly, and as far as I can tell will
preserve the layers. Maybe give this a try instead of Inkscape?

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
Maybe add folding lines on textures in Corel or Illustrator/Inkscape is better idea?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I second having a separate layer for fold lines if possible. I mix vector (cut and fold lines) and bitmaps (textures) in Illustrator which can also export to PDF.

Unfortunately Illustrator is a commercial software but I think you can get the abo for just one month. So you could prepare all the files and then work on putting it all together in that one month where you have the abo active. If the cost is too much I wouldn't be surprised that a call for support here would collect the money needed in no time.

On the open source front: Inkscape features page says it support export to PDF but I haven't tried it. Will probably only be one page support as SVG doesn't support that. Also not sure if it support layers turn on/off in PDF.

Scribus seems a very competent layout software but runs very sluggish on PC with larger files. Apparently it's a blast on Lunix.

Chris
Old 02-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Not much progress as of late. That is down to one factor, engines.... four of them, made up of lots of bits all of which have gone through a few sets of textures to try and get something that looks right

She has a name now, I guess that makes things official!

Some of you may notice that the front cowl has disappeared. You can thank my cat for this, opting to knock the model off my work desk one day. No real damage it just ended up knocking the cowl off, which actually has kinda helped with building the backend of the model.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Take your time. Better to enjoy each step than to rush.

And thanks to the cat for testing the sturdiness of the model ;-) Some of them beasts are very good beta builders!

I see a lot of white lines. Maybe just scrub over them with a very light grey felt pen or pencil to cover them up? White lines are my enemies :-)

The model is looking more impressive with every step. Looking forward to the completion.

Chris
Google Adsense

Tags
donnager, expanse