PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
The Expanse: MCRN Donnager

Thought I would start a thread about a project I have decided to start work on. Inspired by the Roci build I have decided to try my hand at this bad boy

Now this is a sort of dual post. It's not just a log of my progress in the build but it's also the progress of a total and utter noob to the world of model design. Yes I designed the add on PDCs for the Roci but that was some serious gun-ho design using paint shop pro and what little I could remember from my high school graphical communications.

I want to try my hand at doing this project using some of the proper tools, and that means learning how to use blender and learning how to use peparuka. The first is steep the latter looks actually quite fun.

Anyway first progress report.

Lol yeah doesn't look like much but for someone who until two days ago had never used blender I am quite happy with what will eventually become the front of The MCRN Donnager one day.

Fair warning folks this is going to be a long one.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2018, 03:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Best of luck and we'll be following this one....
Old 11-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Oh boy, you've no idea what you're getting into :-D
Best of luck, this is by no means a simple project. I'd love to build it when the time comes of course!
I can donate some of the texture patterns I used for the Roci (sent as image files since you're using paint shop) if you need them, when the time comes, and maybe give you tips on texturing if you want.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
This way there be dragons.

Welcome to the insanity of design.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
Oh boy, you've no idea what you're getting into :-D
Best of luck, this is by no means a simple project. I'd love to build it when the time comes of course!
I can donate some of the texture patterns I used for the Roci (sent as image files since you're using paint shop) if you need them, when the time comes, and maybe give you tips on texturing if you want.

Any help is greatly appreciated, lol I am guessing it's going to be a wee while before I get round to doing textures on the model but I'll drop you a message when the time comes, thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 11-25-2018, 06:14 PM

The learning continues, got a few of the details on the front section. Gun / missile module, this may need some scale tweaking but I won;t know till more of the main body is done added some of the side details, next step will be the comms module, weapons mounts and the rail guns.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I'm looking forward to the results! Good start!
Old 12-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Was checking out some the details for the ship and started to see that my initial model was a bit off in terms of scale. So opted to start over with a few tweaks here and there and some artistic liberties due to the lack of screen time of the ship.

Have redone the front, missile and comms module, rescaled, redone the front main module again rescaled. The old model the front parts where just too big. Have added the rail guns and their mounts and have tweaked some of the details.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
I just finished watching the final season and now I must go and find the first two. I look forward to the design and construction of the ship. So I went and did some surfing to read about this class of ship, fandom provides tons of information. But I found this site:https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ind...m-the-expanse/ Don't know if it will help, but if nothing else it is interesting. The Donnager class ship in Lego!
Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC View Post
I just finished watching the final season and now I must go and find the first two. I look forward to the design and construction of the ship. So I went and did some surfing to read about this class of ship, fandom provides tons of information. But I found this site:https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ind...m-the-expanse/ Don't know if it will help, but if nothing else it is interesting. The Donnager class ship in Lego!

That is awesome thanks. The problem I am finding is that their is a fair few fan versions and art of the ship which gives great detail the problem is they all have their own slight tweaks to the ships design. I have images that have five different designs to the front of the ship. The top part with the missile tubes.

Actual official stuff with tons of detail is quite sparse and the ship itself gets around 3 minutes in total of on screen time, but hey that's the fun of challenge!
Google Adsense

Tags
donnager, expanse