PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
The "working" hydraulic arm is a great addition. The whole model is outstanding.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Landing gear and more surgery

Thanks Don, I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. This thing is kind of taking on a life of its own, I hope I can ride it out

I've been thinking about the landing gear. I would have like it to be retractable. But given that the original model looks like the gear is supposed to piston out, this doesn't seem likely, so I'll settle for having closable doors and removable gears if I can make it work.

The rear legs are housed in very oddly shaped external boxes. The feet of the gear form the doors. So what I have done is to glue a short stub of plastic pipe (drinking straw + lollipop stick) into the main hull, then the landing gear box slips over top of that.

For the front gear, it seems to have to have retract into the narrow space between the two front cannons. For that to happen, the stub has to go inside the nose, underneath the cockpit. So I first performed some surgery to the bottom of the cockpit to give me some space, then added the lip that goes underneath the front cannons. The lip is custom built, since the template's version is... just plain wrong.

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 02-11-2019, 04:03 PM

Interior priming

I've been away for a while, but back now and starting to make progress again.

This first shot shows how the interior will fit together: once painted, all panels will be glued into place. The rear ceiling/top will be glued in too. The front ceiling/top will be removable.

Here are all the parts pre- and post-primed. I'm painting the cockpit in this session too. I love how primer ties everything together...

You can see that I'm deviating (again) from the official model a bit - I don't have a separating bulkhead between the two ball turrets, plus I have built a kind of a socket for each ballturret.

Oh, and a ship needs a crew So here is the start on the sculpt, using a 24 gauge wire, coated in greenstuff and bulked out with kato clay. Now adding details using a mix of greenstuff and apoxie sculpt.

I plan on finishing him up, then making two more casts of him to make the gunner crew.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:55 AM

Some more progress on the pilot, plus I made a quick model of the caged lights that are so beloved on the Imperium wargear, then press-molded it with sculpey a couple of times.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 AM

Final Pilot and interior painting

Here is the final pilot, ready to mold & cast into two gunners for the ball turrets too.

And here are the interior panels, painted up and ready to be glued into the body of the Fire Raptor:

Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2019, 11:18 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Oh crap, the food just fell out of my mouth . Really amazing work. You're certainly multi talented. The space marine sculpt is wonderful.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Thanks Don! Sorry about the mess

Yeah, the space marine was fun to sculpt. I've still have a fair way to go in doing proper mini sculpts, but I just need three of these guys, and they'll be fixed into their seats, so the torso + head just needs to look acceptable.

Pretty amped to get the interior done and onto the exterior again.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Interior done

Here are some shots of the painted and glued interior. Unfortunately the exterior white of the model kind of ruins the exposure of the photos, but it is the best I can do right now.

The rear 3rd of the body will have its ceiling/top glued into place, the front two-3rds will be removable. So some of the detail in the back will be hard to see, which is why I didn't spend so much time on those.

Close ups of the interior greeblies

The view from the rear hatch with the top hatch open. This was the effect I had in my head, and for better or worse I pulled it off exactly as I wanted it.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Landing gear doors

Previously I had already worked on the rear landing gear/pad doors. I've now started on the front gear, and thought I'd share how I did it. I don't know whether this is the best way, but it is one way

First up, I made a hinge for the door using a piece of paperclip, a plastic tube from a cotton swab, and some thick index card.

Next, I attached the door to the hinge. The hinge sticks out a little over the long edge of the door, that means the door (which was the actual piece cut from the bottom) hits the opposite edge when closed, forming a natural stop. The door will still get a magnet to make it stick in the closed position.

Aside: You may notice I cheated a little with the upward curving rear of the door. It is hard (possible but not practical) to have the whole door swivel, but I opted for a practical if not totally correct door. Pundits may also notice that in fact the Fire Raptor doesn't actually *have* gear doors: it has landing pads which act as doors when retracted. But I couldn't make this work, so instead I cheated: the closed doors will look like the retracted landing pads, and when the landing pads are extended the doors are hidden in the wells (which is why they do not open outwards). This gives the same effect at half the price.

TL;DR the gear doors work and they look ok

Next up I made the interior attachment point for the removable landing gear

Then I built the walls for the gear "well", and check that the door had enough clearance

Then I mounted the attachment point, and checked again whether the doors cleared the attachment point:

Finally, a visual check with (a) the doors closed and (b) the doors open and the landing gear struts inserted. The pads will go at the bottom of these.

And another check: it looks like the landing struts can hold the weight of the chassis. They will need reinforcement though, since I will add a significant amount of weight once the ball turrets, front cannons, wings, ceiling panels and control surfaces are added.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:48 PM

The Emperor's new clones

Here is a shot of some casts I made from the space marine pilot:

I made my usual guerilla-style mold from caulking silicone, so the casts are a bit rough, but nothing a bit of PVA can't fill.
For the main pilot, I aim to cast him using some proper silicone, since he will be most visible.

Google Adsense

Tags
fireraptor, wh40k