PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Engines

I rebuilt the engines, using what I had learned from the prototype I had built before.

Each engine has a basic frame made from the front and rear caps and some spars. Two spars per engine have wing spar guide cutouts:

I then cut out the body of the engine. This time, I cut it into parts, so that I could trim the sections to fit properly as I attached each section:

Final assembly:

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 03-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Landing gear, gunners

Not the best photo, but the Raptor now has landing gear / pads.

They are a bit wonky, but work in principal. I'll have to come up with a plan to make them more stable, while keeping them detachable. I have some ideas...

Meanwhile, I finished the paint job on the gunners:

This is what they will look like once installed in the ball turrets:

Not much space to move, but you can see more of them in person

Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rb View Post
One of the twins played with the canopy I had built previously. This means I had to make another one.

I cut the template from some packaging plastic.

I then coated it in Future and let that dry. Once dry, I secured it into the cockpit frame with bluetack, and thinly superglued the seams.
Long time ago, I built a plastic model and when it came time to glue the windows, I used superglue which resulted in fogging. Is there a particular technique you've used to avoid this ?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc pasquin View Post
Long time ago, I built a plastic model and when it came time to glue the windows, I used superglue which resulted in fogging. Is there a particular technique you've used to avoid this ?
Hi Marc, thanks for stopping by! Yes, as I mentioned I cut the piece of plastic, then coated it in Future, then let it dry before using the super glue.

The Future acts to (a) fill all scratches in the plastic, making it shinier and better looking, and (b) prevents the super glue from fogging the plastic up.

I learnt this from a great guide to Future here:
The Complete Future

Pledge Future as-is doesn't exist anymore, but Holloway Quick Shine Floor Finish (got mine from Home Depot) is pretty much the same stuff, as far as I can tell, so I just call it Future.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rb View Post
Hi Marc, thanks for stopping by! Yes, as I mentioned I cut the piece of plastic, then coated it in Future, then let it dry before using the super glue.

The Future acts to (a) fill all scratches in the plastic, making it shinier and better looking, and (b) prevents the super glue from fogging the plastic up.

I learnt this from a great guide to Future here:
The Complete Future

Pledge Future as-is doesn't exist anymore, but Holloway Quick Shine Floor Finish (got mine from Home Depot) is pretty much the same stuff, as far as I can tell, so I just call it Future.
cheers for the link, I'll try one of the Aussie alternative. The reason I asked was that I thought some "secret operation" or rigging was needed to prevent the fumes from spreading. If simply coating the sheet solves the problem, so much the better.

I checked the thread because I've been curious about how much of what is needed to play tabletop wargames (scenery, vehicles, figures) could be made downloadable by individual players so as to minimise the entry price into the hobby. On another forum, someone noticed that the number of scale buildings & vehicles that would be suitable for an australian terrain in the 30s were rare and in some cases, a bit pricey. I've decided to created a few papercraft ones that I could post so people could simply download and built them. Also, since there's already some free game rules out there, it would be interesting in the long term to design models to go with them.

Now, your Fire Raptor is clearly a "deluxe edition" to would be a bit beyond what I'm aiming for but your description of problems and solutions makes for an interesting read.
Google Adsense
Old 03-07-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
cheers for the link, I'll try one of the Aussie alternative. The reason I asked was that I thought some "secret operation" or rigging was needed to prevent the fumes from spreading. If simply coating the sheet solves the problem, so much the better.
Not sure what the Aussie alternative might be right now, that page is pretty old. But I'm sure you can find out. I'm from Melbourne myself, but only moved here recently and only started really scratchbuilding here in LA.

Quote:
I checked the thread because I've been curious about how much of what is needed to play tabletop wargames (scenery, vehicles, figures) could be made downloadable
Check out the "Whole Bunch O' 40k Goodness" thread by ARMORMAN
Whole Bunch O' 40k Goodness...
It is chock full of 40k papercraft gear, and all free.

Quote:
Now, your Fire Raptor is clearly a "deluxe edition" to would be a bit beyond what I'm aiming for but your description of problems and solutions makes for an interesting read.
Cheers Marc, much appreciated!

Old 03-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Engine + wing construction

Started putting together the wings and engine mounts.

The engine mounts are pretty hefty, since they have to carry the engines, engine intakes, engine exhausts, wings, the vtol engines at the wingtips and the missiles that hang underneath the wings.

Here are the engines mounted (with the wing spars only) to check for symmetry and alignment. All good so far.

I've done a single wing prototype before. Learning from that I went ahead with the wings.

The wings have a nice pattern to them, with an opportunity for putting in some panel lining. So I designed the internal support out of thick chipboard to make space for the wing spars, as well as the cut-out ailerons (or are they flaperons? They are pretty close to the inside of the wing).

The internal support is sandwhiched between two outer layers of cereal board. These have cutouts for the ailerons.

The ailerons also have an internal support structure to match.

I kept the "feathers" at the back of the wings, which I had previously put into the prototype wing. I like the look of these.

The wings + ailerons are then assembled using a hinge made from some plastic tube with internal wire, allowing them to move:

Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Current status

Here are some photos of the roughly assembled Fire Raptor, balancing on some lego pieces

This is the first time that I can check the final layout of the model, since most of the rest of the work will be detailing and small additions.

The last photo shows the effect of the lowered ailerons with their feathers.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:39 AM

Wingtip VTOL

This was fun.

The original template had very lacklustre wingtip VTOL fans, so I mocked some up with openSCAD, cleaned up in Meshlab, then unfolded using Pepakura. Here is the result, a built one on the left and the unfolded parts on the right:

This is what they will look like mounted on the end of the wingtips. I plan on making these swivelable. Apologies for the disturbing cut thumb, hope I didn't upset anyone's meal.

Next I added some turbine blades. These were just cut and the blade tips were bent into shape. They'll get a good coating of CA to stiffen up the blades later.

And here is a messy shot of the model from the underside, showing what these will look like. The covers are off in this case, they still need to be added.

Also you can see the fenders on the nose, these will also get VTOLs added, but they have to be adjusted (shortened) a bit.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I can't imagine topping this model, but if anyone can, it'll be you. Truly inspiring work.
Google Adsense

Tags
fireraptor, wh40k