PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Engine exhausts

Started on the engine exhausts.

I used the template's exhaust as a starting point, but had to modify it for the thicker (1mm) card size I'm using. Also, I added an extra shim underneath the built-up nozzle flaps/deflectors, since the original model has these a bit offset.

Test fit (balanced) on the airframe:

Then I started adding some greeblies to the engine body

Here is the 90% finished engine with some of the prototype builds I did

And a close-up. Still needs more greeblie...

Also started working on the various airvents on the top-section of the fuselage.

This is all fairly detailed work, it is going to take some time to finish all of this...

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Reinforcements

I was happy with how the landing gear/pads looked, but not so happy with how strong they were. So I modified them to use cassette-like inserts into the wells, instead of the thin tube attachments from before.

Here are the 3 modified landing gears with their cassette attachments; the rear ones are at the top, the front one is lower right:

The rough (but strong) cassettes slot into the wells on the model, making for a tight and solid fit. There is no wobble, and the model feels much more rigid when sitting on its gear. Yet the cassettes are not visible, so aesthetically it looks just as good as before. Plus with the gear removed the doors on the wells can still close.

Here is a close-up of the front landing gear:

and one of the rear gears:

I also added the hinge to the cockpit canopy

and got started on the front VTOL fans:

These need to be a bit recessed into the body, so I am cutting them in half after constructing them.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Love the detailing on the engines and landing gear. This will be one heck of a model!!!

Chris
Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
This gets better with each installment. You've put in a tremendous amount of detail work. If you can, please take a photo of the model beside some common object to help us gauge the scale. I'm thinking it's the normal 1/60 WH40K scale, but there's so much going on with this model that I'm not really sure.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papierschnitzel View Post
Love the detailing on the engines and landing gear. This will be one heck of a model!!!
Thank you kindly Papierschnitzel! It is fun putting it together, I hope you guys get as much enjoyment out of this as I am getting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
This gets better with each installment. You've put in a tremendous amount of detail work. If you can, please take a photo of the model beside some common object to help us gauge the scale. I'm thinking it's the normal 1/60 WH40K scale, but there's so much going on with this model that I'm not really sure.
Cheers Don, much appreciated!

I printed out the "Fire Raptor version 2" template that ARMORMAN posted here
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/658701-post873.html
at 100% scaling, and from the reference photos I have this is pretty much the same size as the original Fire Raptor. So to answer the scale question, yes it is the usual WH40K scale (28mm heroic / 1:60 or whatever).

The space marine pilot I sculpted for this model is also the same size as a regular space marine (which I used for reference), and it fits properly in the cockpit and ball turrets.

Here is the model on my cutting mat (which has the inch grid), and an Elmer's glue stick for reference:

Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Wings

Some detail photos of the wingtip VTOL fans, wings and stabilizer installation.

The VTOL hinge axis embedded in the wing:

Adding the spacers/bearings to the fan housing:

Installing the fan into the wing. Note that the original model as circular cutouts in the bottom of the fan covers, so that the fans can swivel down properly. I had to cut this after construction, which was pretty tricky.

Note: The template does not address the VTOL fans in detail at all, in fact I cannot figure out from the template how the author wanted us to put these together in the first place. I'll make sure to add my interpretation of the VTOLS, both front and wingtip, to a modifications pdf...

Also worked on the vent gratings on the fuselage

And finally I glued the wings onto the spars, and installed the 2 extra stabilizers. These are mounted at 90 degrees to the wings, which translates to 112.5 degrees to the sides of the engines, so I used a little shim to get the correct angle:

Old 03-22-2019, 11:36 AM

WIP photos

Here are some wip photos.
Almost all the major infrastructure is visible here, except for the engines and the twin front cannons. From here on it is mostly detail work, and then the next major step: the paintjob.

This is what the underside looks like, with the landing gear "retracted". The doors I built have the same texture as the bottom of the landing gear.

Of course, the top of the fuselage remains removable, so the interior can be viewed. This photo also shows the pins that hold the removable ball turrets in place, and the opened rear ramp.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
An impressive job, all that detailed is magnificent. Great skill and talent.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalssergio155 View Post
An impressive job, all that detailed is magnificent. Great skill and talent.

Thank you for the kind comment!

Old 04-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Top engine detail

Been a while between updates; family, work and tax season got in the way.

I've been working on the engine details on the top of the Raptor. The official model has a bit of detail there, some exposed pipes and whatnot. I wanted a bit of a grungier feel, more like the Millenium Falcon with its exposed pits showing the internals. Not sure if I pulled it off, but it is fun putting this detail in

Close up:

Overview:

Google Adsense

Tags
fireraptor, wh40k