PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Fire Raptor version 2

This will be a (slightly modified) build of the Fire Raptor version 2 by 'Adeptus Papercraftus' that ARMORMAN posted in the 'Whole Bunch of 40K Goodness' thread.

The template looks fairly good. It lacks things like tabs, and clear build instructions, although the former is easy enough to do, and the author has put up some construction videos that go a fair way into explaining what goes where. I'll be using my imagination, plus I want to add some extra details.

Below are some photos of my first steps: I separated the main fuselage side panels from the top panel, and instead attached them to the three bottom panels. This gives me space to work a bit on the interior before I glue it all shut. I added the hinged rear ramp, using inspiration from rockpaperscissors's Vanquisher build.

EDIT: add the actual photos I babble on about
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Raptor version 2-img_0556.jpg   Fire Raptor version 2-img_0557.jpg   Fire Raptor version 2-img_6047.jpg   Fire Raptor version 2-img_6048.jpg  

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com

Last edited by g0rb; 01-06-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added the images
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.97 MB
Wow! Looking forward to seeing more of this! I might try my hand at this after my Baneblade build..
Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 AM

Cockpit and hull plating

Cheers Floogen!

This is an interesting construction. There is a lot of layering, but also bulking: the template specifies different thicknesses for the various parts: some hullplates need 2mm, some 3mm, some 1mm, etc.

Luckily Christmas is just past, so I saved all the various boxes that the kids' toys came in. So using some calipers I can figure out which pieces of board to use to get the thicknesses I need.

This build style is nice in that I don't have to cut & fold some long boxy shape and be very precise with my gluing angles, but on the other hand the hull section has two big holes in it for the ball turrents, so each section has to have that circle cut out of it. Also the exposed carboard needs to be wrapped. Tedious.

I also worked on the cockpit, the structure is now fairly complete, plus it has a canopy, courtesy of the aforementioned toy boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Raptor version 2-oimg_6051.jpg   Fire Raptor version 2-oimg_6053.jpg   Fire Raptor version 2-oimg_6055.jpg   Fire Raptor version 2-oimg_6056.jpg  

Old 01-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Looking great so far, Chris. I haven't yet had a hankering to build a WH40 aircraft, but perhaps you'll inspire me once again. It's certainly impressive looking so far.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
I haven't yet had a hankering to build a WH40 aircraft
Thanks Don! I know the WH40k aircraft in general don't look quite as cool as the tanks (except for the Valkyrie). But this one just looks mean, what with the twin rotary cannons on the nose - like an A-10 on steroids.

Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Well, I'm halfway there. Just downloaded the Custodes Pallas Grav-tank. Might be my next WH40K build.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM

With the hinged ramp, will we be seeing a detailed interior?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Hi Chris,

I just downloaded the Raptor, however its a pdf that only has the parts, but no instructions of what goes where.... Did I download the wrong file?

Thanks
Alan
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Well, I'm halfway there. Just downloaded the Custodes Pallas Grav-tank. Might be my next WH40K build.
I see you're getting off the ground, slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floogen View Post
With the hinged ramp, will we be seeing a detailed interior?
Yes, that's the idea, I'm figuring out what the interior will look like. Most photos I've seen on the web look pretty bland, since the interior is dominated by the twin ball turrents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floogen View Post
Hi Chris,

I just downloaded the Raptor, however its a pdf that only has the parts, but no instructions of what goes where.... Did I download the wrong file?

Thanks
Alan
No, I reckon you've got the right file. At the top it should have a (broken) link to a youtube video - this video is part one of a three-part series. Unfortunately (a) the series is in russian, so you'll have to turn on the auto-translator, which isn't always that great, and (b) it still isn't much of a step- by-step. Like I said earlier in the thread, a lot of this will be figured out on the fly as I progress. But that's why it is fun!

BTW here is the correct link to that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFm...rcL5Te8fapny_b

Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Thanks! I checked out the link, but it's a bit hard to understand the auto translation ��
Google Adsense

Tags
fireraptor, wh40k